On Ashadha Amavasya is also called as Deepaanvit Amavasya lamps are worshipped. This simple and delicious recipe where Whole Wheat Flour Lamps are used to worship lamps. A simple and healthy steamed recipe from Maharashtra underlines that even lamp is worshipable.
Ever since Seema showed me a packet of spring roll wraps, I have been itching to try them out. Since I have not as yet joined office I went hunting for a packet of the wraps. Once I got the wraps it was a small matter to get the necessary vegetables.
I read 2 recipes, but in the end as usual did it my own way, as I read the first one long after my vegetables were chopped and the second because my daughter suggested baking them.
So out of the 16 pieces I made 4 got fried and 12 got baked.
Since I liked the taste of the baked once I am going to bake the rest of them when I get down to it next.
Here are the ingredients
15-20 French beans, chopped very fine
4 small or 2 big carrots, chopped very fine (you may grate them)
3 florets of cauliflower, chopped very fine
¼ of a small cabbage, chopped very fine or grated
1 spring onion greens and onions chopped fine keep them separate
1 onion chopped very fine
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tblspn ginger grated
1 tsp sugar
½ tblspn chilli powder
2 tblspn tomato sauce
1tsp soya sauce
1tsp chilli sauce
½ tsp pepper
Salt to taste
1 tblspn oil
For sealing the spring rolls:
1 tblspn corn flour
1. Blanch the French beans, carrots, cauliflower separately and drain them.
2. Heat oil. Add the garlic, ginger, onion both, the onion from the spring onion and the regular onion, on high flame for 2 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir fry for 2 minutes on high flame.
4. Remove from fire and cool.
5. Thaw the spring roll wraps as per the instructions on the packet.
6. Wrap the thawed wraps in a damp kitchen napkin (it is easier to handle) and separate the sheets gently. My sheets were square.
7. Place the wrap on a plate. Put the filling in the centre of the roll; bring one corner of the wrap a little under the diagonal edge. You get a triangle.
8. Fold the two side corners towards the centre there tips overlapping.
9. Drizzle the cornflower sealant on the remaining corner then roll and seal.
10. Glaze the surface of the roll with oil if you are baking it.
11. Preheat the oven to 250ºC. arrange the roll in a borosil tray on the low rack cook on convection 250ºC for 20 minutes
P.S. You can use egg white for sealing the roll..