This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe
Tomatoes and fresh basil bound together by whole wheat flour in one amazing bread.
This tomato basil bread is dense bread that tastes just wonderful fresh or toasted. Serve some with some tomato soup and you have an amazing meal. Taste great with Fresh Pistou Recipe or like Bruschetta Recipe Using Rusk.
The other bread recipes that we all love are our Hokkaido Milk Bread and Braided Easter Bread. Do check them out too.
In case you do not have any sundried tomatoes there is a tip for you on how to make them at home. So read on.
- Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe and me
- Why MSK Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe
- How to make bread with Tomato and Basil
- For Your Questions
- Other Bread we love
- Recipe Card
- Pin for later
Hello, and welcome! I am known as The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen, reinventing the foodie in you!
Tired of choosing between tasty or healthy meals? No more! Here at the Mad Scientist’s Kitchen, I experiment with flavours and cuisines that are as nutritional as they are delicious.
Join me in my lab as we cook up some treats! You can stay up-to-date with my latest culinary adventures by subscribing to my newsletter. No scam, no spam, just the clink of my pots and pans!
I will love you to follow me on:
Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe and me
I baked this delicious bread some time ago and carried it for my niece. Actually, I was worried she may not like it but they all loved it. Especially when she fried it in garlic butter.
This delicious recipe is adapted from Veena's recipe.
Why MSK Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe
Make this Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe as it is
- Uses whole-wheat flour
- It is a flavourful bread
How to make bread with Tomato and Basil
These are the ingredients you will need. For quantities please check the recipe card.
- Whole Wheat Flour
- All Purpose Flour
- Instant Yeast
- Sun Dried Tomato (Soaked In Warm Water)
- Fresh Basil
- Tomato Puree
- Olive Oil
- Warm Water
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and tomato puree, together with salt and warm water and knead to a soft pliable dough.
- Rest in a well-oiled bowl for an hour or till double. This is called proofing.
- Punch down the dough a little and add the sun-dried tomatoes and basil and knead again applying olive oil.
- Shape into a loaf. Transfer to a greased baking tray. Set aside for a second rise.
- Bake in preheated oven till done.
- Let it cool and slice it.
- You can use only all-purpose flour and replace the whole wheat flour.
- You can leave out the sundried tomatoes totally.
- To make your own sun-dried tomatoes quarter the tomatoes and bake on low heat for 4 hours in the oven. Thanks, Varada she had messaged me this tip.
- Use some garlic along with the sundried tomatoes and basil.
- How about some fresh cilantro or coriander along with the tomatoes?
You will need
- Loaf pan
How to serve:
- I served it with Garlic Cheese Dip.
- I prefer it plain with tea.
- Serve the bread with soup. I will love some with my tomato soup.
- How about some well-toasted bread slices slathered with some pistou.
How to store:
- Store wrapped in a towel in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
- In my place, this bread gets over in a day so I cannot say how long it can be stored.
This bread is a redo of the old post that I had originally posted on Nov 17, 2014. Reposting with better writeup and images for our group of us who are redoing old posts.
This is an old post that I am updating with newer pictures and a write-up as a part of the group Foodies_RedoingOld Post.
For Your Questions
- To make your own sun-dried tomatoes quarter the tomatoes and bake on low heat for 4 hours in the oven.
- If using active yeast mix well the yeast in ⅓ cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar and let it stand in a warm place. Once the yeast becomes all bubbly (called blooming technically) mix it in the flour.
Other Bread we love
Whole Wheat Tomato Basil Loaf Recipe
- 2 Bowls
- 1 Oven
- 1 Loaf Tin
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sun dried tomato soaked in warm water
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup to ½ cup warm water
- Mix the flours, yeast, sugar and tomato puree, together with salt.
- Add ⅓ cup of warm water and knead the dough add more water as need to a get a soft pliable dough.
- Knead well for 5 to 7 minutes to make it into soft pliable dough.
- Transfer the dough to a well-oiled bowl. Turn the dough over so that the bottom is also coated.
- Keep it covered in a warm place till the dough doubles or for an hour.
- Now punch down the dough a little and add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil and knead again.
- Apply some olive oil and knead the dough.
- Dust the surface with some flour. Roll into a rectangle approximately ¼” in thickness and then shape it into a loaf by rolling it from the long side.
- Transfer to a greased loaf pan tray and cover it loosely and let it rise again for 30-40 minutes.
- Towards the end of 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 180°C or 356°F
- Brush the top with egg wash or milk. Use vegan milk if you wish.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C /356°F for 20 minutes or till done.
- Let it cool and slice it.
Ways to serve Tomato Basil Bread Recipe
- My family enjoyed it with Garlic Cheese Dip.
- I preferred it plain with tea.
- Serve the bread with soup. I will love somewith my tomatoes soup.
- How about some well toasted bread slices slathered with some pistou.
Nutritional Disclaimer: I am not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. Please check with your nutritionist for your dietary needs and restrictions. Ultimately you are responsible for your decisions.
Varadas Kitchen says
The loaf looks awesome! I love the beautiful crust. I am so glad the oven dried tomatoes worked for you.
Wow this looks soo delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Nivedhanams Sowmya says
perfectly made!!! love the first click.. looks so tempting
The Pumpkin Farm says
my goodness, the color has floored me...i am in love with this bread now
Even I liked the bread as it is without any spread. Bread looks beautiful, specially the first picture. You also sliced it beautifully,.
Manjula Bharath says
wow wow archana such perfectly baked aromatic bread 🙂 looks fantastic dear !!
sneha datar says
Yummy and perfectly baked bread.
wow Archana, your loaf has baked so well!...
Priya Suresh says
Wow,loaf came out simply prefect, looks stunning Archana.
Padma Rekha says
Wow Archana you got a perfect texture and shape. I tried two time both times I didn't like mine now have to take a lesson from you
Harini-Jaya R says
Beautiful looking loaf! Love the crust!
Chef Mireille says
yours came out perfect - such great height you achieved
Jayanthi Sindhiya says
Wonderful loaf!! love the golden crust
Jayashree T Rao says
A perfectly baked bread. Loved the tomato flavour which you have used Archana.
Jayashree T.Rao says
Whole wheat tomato basil loaf looks good and flavoursome. Awesome bake, would love to make it sometime soon.
Priya Vj says
Beautifully risen bread with a lovely golden crust. The flavor of tomatoes and basil makes it all the more exotic ... for the chill weather now here ,this tomato basil bread with some soup is what I would love
😀 woman after my heart. 😀