Make your own indulgent Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate at home with our easy recipe. Perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings!
We like to call this delectable homemade chocolate Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate. It will rival your favourite chocolatier's offerings. and not burn a hole in your pocket.
The key to this chocolate is in the balance. That sweet spot where crispy meets velvety, and each bite is a heavenly blend of textures. So make some not just for this Valentine's but anytime you want chocolate.
If you too love chocolates and prefer to make some at home roll up your sleeves. Let us begin our adventure of making these chocolates together. My journey towards making them at home began with these Moulded Chocolates. Diwali was the time the girls teamed up with their friends to make them with me.
Chocolates are our favourite and hubby and I still search for chocolate as a dessert. Here are some of our favourites Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe, Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Recipe, Yummy Butterscotch Dulce Filled Chocolate, Chocolate Truffles.
About Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate
The detectable chocolate Ferrero Rocher was introduced in 1982 and is a spherical chocolate. Ferrero Rocher is produced by the Italian chocolatier Ferrero SpA.
The whole recipe is a secret and is mechanised. The chocolate consists of a whole roasted hazelnut encased in a thin wafer shell filled with hazelnut chocolate and covered in milk chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
I always stop myself from buying a box of Ferrero Rocher because it is expensive and frankly, one or two Ferrero Rocher does not stop me from reaching out for more. The best thing is to look out for the recipe of Ferrero Rocher. I think I almost hit the nail here.
I remember when I first made this chocolate as a working woman I used to split the steps into more doable jobs( I still do this). So I made these chocolate balls and put the container in the refrigerator. The idea was that I would coat the chocolate in the evening.
My daughter and her friends were home that day and raided the refrigerator. Naturally, they found these chocolate balls which they finished. Then waited till I came back home to tell me they finished the lovely chocolate, please make more we loved them.
I had no heart to say anything to them. So I remade these chocolates and after coating the chocolate told my kid to share them with her friends. Somehow I doubt she did that.
These are your ingredients for quantities please check the recipe card.
- Vanilla wafers- for the crispy crunch when you bite into the chocolate ball.
- Walnuts- for the nutty flavour you get from these relatively inexpensive walnuts.
- Nutella – the star of our show. Grab that jar and scoop out some of the indulgence by the heaped spoonfuls.
- Chocolate- Chop and melt your chocolate in the microwave we will use it to coat the Nutella ball.
- Toast the walnuts before using them. This way the nutty flavours are highlighted and since there is no moisture you can blitz them them. This step is especially crucial if you live in a humid climate. We don't want sticky situations, just crispy perfection.
- Next, add the roasted and cooled walnuts to the mixer grinder. I find that using the chutney pot gives better results. blitz the walnuts in short sprouts or pulse mode as my mixer calls it. Open the jar and stir the mix often we do not want the walnuts sticky. Transfer to a bowl.
- Next crush the wafer in a bag or just use your fingers and make a coarse powder. Transfer to the bowl of walnuts.
- Add the Nutella about 1-2 spoonfuls at a time. We should be able to make balls out of the mixture. So adjust the wafers/Nutella accordingly.
- Mix and bring the mixture together. Make small balls of the mix and place the chocolate balls in the refrigerator for at least ½ an hour. Due to the heat, I leave them for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, if using a chocolate block chop it and melt it. You can use the microwave and run it in a short burst of 30 seconds. Stir and return to the MW to melt fully. Or melt in the double boiler. My suggestion is to use chocolate chips it is faster to melt them.
- Stir the melted chocolate well till it becomes glossy.
- Line a tray with butter paper. Dip the chocolate balls in the melted chocolate and transfer them to paper lined tray. Let these chocolate cool in the fridge. Say for about 30 minutes.
- Coat again till all the sides are coated.
- You can roll these in the mix of walnut and wafer mixture.
- Walnuts: My substitute for hazelnuts. They are very expensive here and I rather not buy, hoard and dump them.
- Ever wondered why Ferrero Rocher has that extra crunch? It's all about the toasted hazelnuts and the wafer cover it has. Now hazel nuts are expensive and are available only in certain seasons here. So I replaced them in my homemade version. This way it is cheaper in my pocket and I use the wonderful walnuts we buy all the time.
- Chocolate: I like dark chocolate and use that. But you can use milk chocolate or even the chocolate compound. The chocolate compound is best especially if you want to carry these chocolates as gifts. Dark chocolate needs refrigeration at all times.
- Pan to roast the walnuts
- Mixer grinder to blitz
- Knife and board to chop the chocolate
- Microwave to melt chocolate
- Parchment paper
- Box to store
- These chocolates will last well over 15 days if you can leave them alone. I have never seen them beyond day 2 in my place.
- Use good quality ingredients for superior flavour and texture. Opt for real chocolate rather than compound chocolate for a richer taste.
- Your almost Ferrero Rocher texture will depend on the fine grinding of the walnuts. Also, ensure the wafer crumbs are just right.
- When melting chocolate use dry bowls, spoons and ladles. Even a drop of water will cause your chocolate to seize.
- Do not make any chocolate products when in a hurry. You cannot rush the process. Let your chocolate balls chill in the fridge thoroughly. this way the coating sets properly.
- When dipping your chocolate balls in melted chocolate, use a fork.
- Store your chocolates in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them fresh. Although I can guarantee they have never lasted for long in my place. Most of the time the container eats them all up.
- Homemade treats are meant to be shared. gift your almost Ferrero Rocher chocolates to friends and family.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate :
Homemade treats are meant to be shared. gift your almost Ferrero Rocher chocolates to friends and family.
Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate
- 60 grams Vanilla wafers
- 60 grams Walnuts
- ⅓ cups Nutella about 2 heaped scoops
- 200 grams Chocolate to coat
- Roast the walnuts on low flame cool and then pulse them in the mixer grinder. Stir the walnuts in the mixer this will prevent the oil from the walnuts making them sticky. Transfer to a wide bowl.
- Crush the wafers and add to the bowl of walnuts.
- Add the Nutella one spoonful at a time and mix. Add just enough for the mixture to come together and form a ball.
- Make small gooseberry-sized balls. Chill them in the refrigerator for anything from 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- Melt the chocolate if using a block chop the chocolate. Use the microwave in short spurts of 30 seconds. Remove and stir the chocolate between spurts. I use a double boiler.
- Once the chocolate is melted stir it till it becomes glossy.
- Line a tray with butter paper and keep ready.
- Dip the chocolate balls in the melted chocolate and transfer to the tray. Chill them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Coat once again till all sides are coated. You can repeat this one more time.
- Once cool you can transfer them to a container. Store in the refrigetaror.