Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet In Old Age
“It’s [old age] not a surprise, we knew it was coming – make the most of it. So you may not be as fast on your feet, and the image in your mirror may be a little disappointing, but if you are still functioning and not in pain, gratitude should be the name of the game.”
― Betty White, If You Ask Me
I loved the quote about old age I found on Goodreads. Explains Old Age the last part of our journey in the walk called life!
I don’t want to paint a picture where life is difficult and tiresome; no, life is a gift that you need to live. Make it as interesting and as delightful as you can. Just because I get old does not mean I should weigh down on my partner, my children or just the society around me.
I am a responsible adult and I should take charge of my life.
Now I have no responsibilities of taking care of my children or even caring for the children, for once I can live life to be what I want to be.
For that, I need to be economically stable and live a reasonably healthy and fulfilled life.
To be economically stable contact, my husband, he can help you, no jokes he is in personal finance and the way he helps you invest.
To live reasonably healthy lives work on it:
Get in touch with friends if they are long gone make new friends,
Eat Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet in Old Age. (You can eat a non-vegetarian diet but then I am a vegetarian cooker).
I have chosen Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet in Old Age reason, my father. He found nothing on the internet that is something,” that is not dal chawal, khichdi as old age food and the foreign sites they use, eggs, chicken, cheeses that are not available here!” Yes, he is a non-vegetarian convert does not eat eggs also. I told you he does have his quirks!
It’s difficult for a man who has eaten quite a variety of foods, he was my mentor in eating food, he developed my interest in food, cooking and dishing it up. Now that he is alone he has someone to cook for him. But then he wants different things that she cannot understand or produce. This is a small way to give him some Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet in Old Age that he can make by himself (he is an extremely good cook so he will come up with something much more interesting).
But before here is the synopsis of what I have read up on old age. Let me be very frank none of this is original. It’s what I have copied from various sources and as usual, I don’t know where.
In a nutshell, these are the tips that we can use not just in old age but inculcate in our lives now to help us in our old age.
- In case you suffer from any medical disorder, consult a professional nutrition consultant for your individual requirement.
- Aid digestion, absorption and prevent fatigue eat 6-7 small meals, in a day every day.
- Processed foods with artificial colours and preservatives are a definite no-no.
- Water is the elixir of life. Drink up at least 10-5 glasses of water in a day. This will help prevent dehydration as your muscular density has decreased your susceptibility to dehydration high.
- Stepping out? Carry a small and healthy snack with you. Can be a banana or the energy bars that I will be writing about later this month. This way you will avoid eating out.
- Eat Potassium-rich foods like jeera/cumin seeds, mousambi/sweet limes, methi/fenugreek seeds and coconut water are good for muscular flexibility, prevent water retention and swellings and help maintain blood pressure.
- Just because you need food soft do not overcook it. You are destroying nutrients. Choose methods or select foods which need less time to cook.
- Your aching joints are no excuse exercise regularly, stretch and do yoga this helps absorption of nutrients.
- The use of mustard oil or olive oil is recommended not only to prevent high cholesterol but also improve good cholesterol in the blood.
- I like what they do in my Bhabhi’s place. Breakfast is full of fruits, seasonal fruits minimum 2-3 fruits it works as antioxidants and prevents constipation.
- Eat egg whites they are a source of protein so very important for repair of worn out cells and tissues. In case you are vegetarian low-fat paneer is a good substitute.
- Adding curd to the chapatti dough will increase their nutritional value, besides keeping them soft.
- Your dinner should be by 7.30-8 pm and vegetable soups without cream and thickening agents like cornflour or potato are healthy and a meal.
For a healthier diet do follow this space as I come up with new and healthier recipes.