This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Horiatiki Salad, a Rustic Salad
Horiatiki Salad, Choriatiki Salata, Horitiki Salad are the same rustic Greek Salad that a Greek Farmer will enjoy as breakfast or lunch.
This delicious traditional Greek Salad has its roots in Greece and Cyprus and is a part of the traditional meal.
But the reason I m posting this salad now is that in the group Healthy Wealthy Cuisine where there are interesting and delicious themes this fortnight it is #82 ItsColorMania at HWCG theme is suggested by Poonam. Food is colourful to celebrate Holi.
Holi the festival of colours the onset of spring is celebrated all around in India with great joy. When young and old, rich and poor enjoy applying colour and play around with water. The general cry "bura n mano Holi Hai" which translates to "do not feel bad it is Holi."
The others in my group have
- Strawberry Crush by Swaty
- Beetroot Halwa by Poonam
The food that I have made for Holi in the past are Thandai, How to make Sardai, Thandai for Holi #CookoutWeek, K for Katin Saar or Kat chi Amti, Kari Kadubu, a Deep Fried Delicacy from Karnataka.
But since we love salads and make them often in large quantities. In fact, it ends up as a meal and generally, we prefer it plain. No bread accompanies the salad so I try and make it a complete meal.
I had made this greek salad with lettuce as a part of the Mediterranean Cuisine and when I researched it I was intrigued enough to make the salad without lettuce, as adding lettuce is an American adaptation.
Horiatiki Salad is a rustic salad and the farmer who makes it has the freshest possible ingredients at hand.
The ingredients for Horiatiki Salad rustic salad:
Tomatoes: use the best and the reddest ones. In fact, if you can get coloured ones do try them. The salad will look beautiful when you use orange, yellow tomatoes.
Cucumbers: I use the local ones just remove the seeds.
Onion: I use the red ones I get locally but I feel the white ones will be less pungent.
Feta cheese: what is Greek Salad without feta. Use the best one you can get.
Olives: I love using black olives for they give a pop of colour.
Green bell pepper, Caperberries: these are optional since I have never tasted caperberries I rather not comment.
Salad Dressing: The cornerstone of any good salad is the dressing today I have used a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt pepper freshly ground.
How to make Horiatiki Salad:
- Wash and dry all your ingredients.
- Cut the cucumber in half then remove the seeds. Cube them
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Make cubes of the green pepper remove the seeds.
- I made onion cubes too then separated the rings.
- Cube the feta to bite-sized pieces.
- Mix all the veggies and set to chill in the fridge.
- When ready to serve make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients. drizzle on the salad.
- Toss with feta and olives. Dish up.
Horiatiki Salad a Rustic Salad
- Chopping Board
- Spoons and Ladles
For the Salad:
- 2 cucumber unpeeled, seeded, and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 200 grams cherry halved
- 1 red onion cubed
- 200 grams feta cheese cubed
- ½ cup black olives sliced
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 6 tablespoon EVO olive oil
- ½ lemon squeezed
- Cut the cucumber in half remove the seeds with a spoon then ¼ inch thick slices.
- Half the cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions in cubes and separate the layers.
- Place all the ingredients in a big bowl mix well.
- Cover with a cling film and set in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve in a small bowl add the ingredients except for the olive oil and whisk together.
- Add the olive oil slowly while whisking the ingredients in the small bowl.
- Drizzle this vinaigrette emulsion over the salad.
- Add the feta and olives and toss lightly.
- Serve immediately.
Other Salads that may interest you:
- Simple Mango Salad Recipe
- Fresh Hara Chana Chaat|Green Chickpea Salad
- Green Papaya Salad Recipe~Thai Salad
- Pomegranate, Carrot and Sprouts Salad
- Hesar Bale Gajjari Kosambri |Moong Dal and Carrot Salad
Pin For Later:
The Mediterranean Cuisine Variations:
- Delicious Greek Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette Dressing
- Vegan Lebanese Chickpeas Stew
- Onion Focaccia Recipe
- Falafel Wraps
- Homemade Greek Yogurt
Poonam Bachhav says
Loved this simple yet flavorful Horiatiki Salad ! Homemade vinaigrette also sounds so easy . Thanks for the lovely share.
I love to add feta cheese in salads and sandwiches. This one is a keeper recipe for coming summers. looks bright and refreshing!!
Jayashree T.Rao says
This is an ideal summer salad, easy to assemble and can eat it anytime. Love all the ingredients used here.
Shobha Keshwani says
Salads are always welcome specially in summer. Nice one with healthy ingredient. Looks simply irresistible
Mayuri Patel says
I love Horiatiki Salad as that just gives me an excuse to enjoy feta cheese and loves without feeling guilty. It often is my light meal choice.. filling and so refreshing.
Mayuri Patel says
Its the feta cheese and olives that makes this salad so appealing to me, love it. Its my salad to make whenever I want a light but flavorful meal.Filling and tasty.
😀 true. I love it too.
Chef Mireille says
This basic Greek salad is a great accompaniment to any meal
I like that this easily doable and also delicious and gluten free. The hubby loves feta, so must hunt that down in stores and assemble this quick salad 🙂
Make your own Feta Kalyani. I have the homemade feta here.
Priya Srinivasan says
That’s quite a mouthful name arch! Love the Salad, simple ingredients, no fancy dressings.
colorful and flavorsome salad.
😀 I cannot pronounce it still Priya!
This Horiatiki Salad is yet another healthy colourful salad. I love the slightly salty kick in all feta cheese recipes. I guess that's what feta is about! More over, what I like about such salads is that they dazzle up and camouflage simple meals to higher levels. So, that's one more addition to my list of Mediterranean salads. Loved it all the way!!
True more benefit in little work is something I love. 😀 Thanks Neha.
Priya Vj says
Horatiki salad is so crisp and refreshing. I love these simple salads with a mild salad dressing on hot summer day
😀 thanks, Priya.