11 May, 2014
Ambe che Sasav/ Mango Sasav ~A traditional Goan DishComments : 11 Posted in : Accompaniments, Blogging Marathon, Goan, Indian Cuisine, Mango on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: Accompaniments, Amme che Sasav, Blogging Marathon, Goan, Mango Sasav, Ripe Mango, Sasav
|Ambe che Sasav/ Mango Sasav|
The market is flooded with mangoes this season. The aroma of the mangoes is so delicious
that I wonder why I plan on making a vegetable, dal, chapattis, rice etc. Can we just not eat mangoes?
but in case you do not have access to them you will need to use them. Use them as needed your end product has to be sweet and sour.
- 3 small mangoes or gota
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 tsp rai/mustard seeds )
- 1/4 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 3 red chillies
- 1 ½ tsp imli/tamarind pulp (optional)
- 2 tsp jaggery (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp oil
- Peel the mangoes and discard the skin. Slightly bruise the mangoes and set aside. If you are using mango cubes then ignore this step.
- Grind together the coconut, haldi, red chillies and the tamarind if using with ½ cup water to a coarse paste.
- Heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Pour the coarsely ground mixture in the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the jaggery (if using), salt and mango pieces and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- You can also dry roast the mustard seed till they crackle and then grind them with the coconut.
- In case you plan to do that avoid the step of heating oil and spluttering the mustard seeds. Directly add the ground paste to the pan and then follow the rest of the steps.
- And handle the mangoes with care after cooking them they are easily damaged. My first pics has a hole in it. Thanks to the “inquisitive cook” who checked if it was done by poking her finger in it.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 40
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!