Take a shortcut for your next Summer Party appetizer use bakery brought toast or Rusk! A simple and colourful snack that easy for kids to put together.
Last Updated on
Foogath made from French beans is an everyday Goan vegetarian dish.
Foogath is also known as fugad is used for vegetarian recipes that have been steam cooked. You cover the kadhai/wok with a lid on which water is added. The main ingredients are onion, coconut and curry leaves the amount of oil used is minimum.
Anyway, a foogath is quick and simple to make. Try making fugad with cabbage and French beans, ivy gourd(tendli), cluster beans(gawar).
Keep an eye on the vegetable you are cooking they should cook just right and not become brown or even crisp.You can always remove the lid and stir in between. Add water if needed.
Serve as a side dish along with boiled rice daal or rotis and lentils.
- 250 Grams French Beans washed, stringed and chopped
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rai/mustard seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Hing/Asafoetida
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 1 Dry Kashmiri chilli broken2-3 pieces
- 1 green chilli slit and chopped2-3 pieces
- 4-5 Tablespoons Coconut freshly grated
- Salt to Taste
- Heat the kadhai/wok add the oil.
- Lower the flame and splutter the mustard seeds, add the hing, curry leaves, chillies. Stir once.
- Add the French beans, salt, coconut. Mix well.
- Cover with a lid that is filled with water. Cook covered on low flame till the steam escapes from the sides of the lid.
- Switch off the gas and let the vegetable sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with chapatti, and or rice and daal.
- In case your French beans are not tender add a tablespoon or 2 of hot water in the pan.
- Keep an eye on the French beans they should cook just right and not become brown or even crisp. In case you are not sure remove the cover and stir in between. Add water if needed.
Hi! First time here?
You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!