An easy and multipurpose Coffee Rub Mix that makes great a starter, side or a filling for a wrap! Your Vegan friend will also relish great food at your Holiday Table too. Try it!
But when I was discussing with my girls what I should be making for the alphabet themed BM there was only one voice that said Xec Xec!!
The only Xec Xec I know of is crab Xec Xec so the first thing that was to think of was the substitute for crabs.
Then the replacement for crabs should be something that will not clash with the different masalas that go in Xec Xec, a delicious Goan preparation. I was skeptical. How will I be able to recreate the magic of Xec Xec?
Believe me I have heard about Xec Xe and I am yet to eat the authentic Xec Xec so creating it was like pulling a rabbit from the hat.
The only two replacements I could think of were paneer and mushrooms.
Finally I choose mushrooms and I must say I was not very confident of its reception at home but then I was unnecessarily worried it was a hit.
I have adapted it from here. Its is posted by: L. Sequira, Cansaulim
- 8-10 big mushrooms
- 8 tblsps grated coconut
- 8 red chillies (I used Badgi)
- 1tsp Coriander seeds
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbspn Oil
- 2 onions (sliced)
- ½ tsp. Ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ cup tamarind juice
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- Soak the mushrooms in a big container for 5-10 minutes. Drain them on a towel. Cut in quarters.
- Roast the coconut lightly in a thick bottomed kadhai/wok. And clear the pan.
- Roast the chillies and then the spices. Grind the roasted ingredients to a fine paste using a little water.
- Heat oil, brown the onion, and stir in ginger-garlic paste and turmeric powder.
- Fry for a few seconds, add the mushrooms, mix well and sprinkle tamarind juice.
- Cover the pan and after 4-5 minutes stir in the roasted spice paste, salt and green chillies.
- Cook till preparation is thick.
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon #32 for the alphabet X do come back for Y tomorrow.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!