8 January, 2018
Kande Pohe Recipe for Quick Breakfast or Snack
Kanda Pohe is a Maharashtrian dish classic, quick, fuss-free and nutritious breakfast or snack. Since you can make it very quickly it is a great way to welcome unexpected guests or even your child’s demands of something made quick.
The main ingredients for Kande Pohe are poha /pressed rice, onions, mustard seeds, turmeric, green chillies and jeera, finished off with a sprinkling of fresh coriander. The optional ingredients are potato, green peas, there are times when I use tomato like my Mother-in-law used to.
The other Maharashtrian breakfast dishes are
- Ghavan or Ghavene
- Misal Pav ~~SNC Challenge #3
- Phodnicha Bhaat/ Stir-Fried Seasoned Rice
- Phodni chi Poli
- Lapsi a Maharashtrian Delicacy
- Sabudana-che-Khichdi or Sago ~ with Onion
- Sabudana Thalippeth
- Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
- Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 400 grams poha/pressed rice thick variety
- 3 onions (medium) chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch hing/asafoetida
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 4-5 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp haldi powder
- 1 cup green peas boiled (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Add the poha in a colander.
- Hold it under running water, turn the colander, and wet all the poha. Poha should be moist add salt and sugar, red chilli powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/ wok.
- Add mustard seeds and when they splutter add green chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add onions and sauté.
- Add peas sauté for two minutes.
- Add poha mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix lightly.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
This is for Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight event, guest hosted by PJ themed on Quick / Innovative Breakfast.
Hi! First time here? You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!