This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Indian Green Tomato Salad Recipe
This unripe tomato salad is simple, delicious, and a vegan koshimbir that can be made to suit your tastebuds.
Tomato Kai Kosambri comes from my grandmother kitchen. She regularly made it when I went home from the hostel over the weekends. Took her 5-10 minutes to make it it is not too dry or runny so great with rice and dal or even with rotis as a side dish.
Hello, and welcome to The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen, Reinventing the Foodie in you! If you need simple recipes tasty and healthy food then you are in the right place. Please leave me a comment as to what you will like to see here. We will not spam you, so subscribe to the link below or on the sidebar!
- Tomato Kai Kosambari and me
- Can you eat Green Tomatoes?
- Ingredients for Green Tomato Salad
- Some traditional salads we enjoy
- Recipe Card
- Pin for later
Tomato Kai Kosambari and me
Ajji made this yum salad and I had totally forgotten about this salad. I had made it when Akanksha was about 6-7 years. The other day she had come with me to the market and she searched and picked up about t ½ kg of these unripe tomatoes and reminded me about this salad these pictures are by her. This post I had first posted on 29thof Oct 2008 updating it now for SEO purposes and mainly to replace my cringe worth pictures.
Can you eat Green Tomatoes?
In my hometown kai tomato, (kai is an unripe fruit) are very common. Not so in Goa, I need to search for them and the greengrocer is like why do you want it? I am sure he like the local farmer thinks I am nuts.
For once let us make it very clear you can eat green tomatoes. They are delicious and they are sourer thanks to their higher acidic content.
You need not wait for the tomato to ripen before you eat them. There are very many green tomato recipes you can make a salad, gojju a sweet-sour curry, chutney and I am sure there are many more that I need to explore.
Even the Kitchen has said that you can make delicious dishes with them. Of course, now my mission is to search for green unripe tomatoes and make the ones that The Kitchen has mentioned.
Fun facts about Tomatoes!
- Tomato is consumed popularly when ripe, the luscious red tomato has an appeal that is irresistible. Do you know there are tomatoes that are yellow, orange too when ripe? They were the original ones grown in Europe.
- Tomatoes were considered poisonous in medieval times.
- Pommes d'amour or love apples was what the French called them as they believed tomatoes had stimulating aphrodisiacal properties.
- Tomatoes, the popular berry that is now considered a vegetable was introduced to India in the 16th century by the Portuguese. The plant thrived and now we are the second largest producers of tomatoes.
Ingredients for Green Tomato Salad:
There are the ingredients you will need to collect before making the salad. The measures are in the recipe card please do check them out.
- green tomatoes
- green chillies
- roasted gram what we call puthane(will add the picture)
- mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- sugar (optional)
- coriander for garnishing
Substitutes and alternatives:
- Green Tomatoes: Use the reddish and green half-ripe one. If the pinch comes to a shove then use firm red ones but I have never tried it so I cannot say for sure how it will taste. Let me know if you make it.
- Tempering: Avoid tempering if you wish but then mustard gives a delicious tang.
- Asafoetida: Asafoetida is an anti-flatulent but in case you want a gluten-free salad avoid it.
How to make Tomato Kai Koshimbir:
Making Tomato Salad is very easy!
- Wash the tomatoes clean. These days I soak them in a solution of baking soda for about 15 minutes. Before using them rinse them yet again in water.
- Cut the tomatoes fine and add to the serving bowl. Add some salt mix and set aside.
- Pulse in the chutney pot of your mixer/blender some green chillies and the roasted gram coarsely. Add to tomatoes and mix well.
- In a small wok heat oil, add mustard when it splutters add asafoetida.
- Mix in the tomatoes and check the seasoning.
- Add sugar if using and serve immediately.
Pro-tips for authentic Tomato Salad:
- If you have half-ripe tomatoes use them too the taste is just as good.
- Use firm tomatoes and cut them fine.
- I use sunflower oil, rice bran oil or groundnut oil in rotation. You can use vegetable oil or any oil that does not smell.
- Serve this tomato salsa with any Indian flatbread roti, chapati, fulka. I love it with parathas too. Steamed rice and dal with a side of papad and pickle. Eat it plain in a bowl as a snack! I am a salad freak so you will find me eating it at all possible times 😀 !
Some traditional salads we enjoy:
Indian Green Tomato Salad Recipe
- Knife and board
- chutney jar of mixer/blender
- Bowl for mixing
- Spoons and Ladles
- 2 raw tomatoes
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tablespoon roasted gram
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sugar optional
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into fine pieces add to a bowl add salt. Mix and set aside.
- Pulse the green chillies, roasted gram coarsely in the chutney pot. Add to tomatoes.
- In a wok heat oil, add mustard when it splutters add asafoetida.
- Add to the tomato and mix.
- Adjust the seasoning, sugar if using and garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Disclaimer: I am not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. Please check with your nutritionist for your dietary needs and restrictions. Ultimately you are responsible for your decisions.
I can understand the green grocers looks Arch. I get the same when I ask the guy here for green tomatoes!!
This is a lovely salad and now I'm going to buy green tomatoes just to make this.
😀 Thanks, PJ.
Mayuri Patel says
A unique salad recipe as I have not thought of using green tomatoes in it. In a salsa or a chutney yes, but not a salad. With a bit of roasted chana dal this Indian Green Tomato Salad would make an excellent healthy snack option.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I am so excited to see this recipe Archana! At the end of summer growing season, I end up having a lot of green tomatoes. This is such a simple recipe to make with those and my family would love it.
Wow! How I will love to be in your shoes. There are so many delicious recipes with green tomatoes.
Suma Gandlur says
Glad to have you back. I have seen my husband's nieces making similar dish with red tomatoes too sans roasted gram but I haven't tasted it. I make chutney and dal with it mostly. Your version makes it a quick and healthy salad / side dish.
Thank you, Suma.
tihs kosambari is totally new AND delish!! cant wait to try when I get a batch of green tomato next..
Never tried green tomato salad.. this looks so refreshing and yumm..will definitely try it as soon as I get a bunch of tomatillos.
Jayashree T.Rao says
Nice salad with green tomatoes. I never thought of using them this way. Will give this a try when I have them. Looks good.
Thanks, Jayashree. Do try its yum.
Hem lata srivastava says
New for me, never tried green tomato salad, I grow tamatos in my kitchen garden but this time I am not at my place so next time when I grown tomatoes or I get the green tomatoes will surely try it.
Preeti Shridhar says
I make green tomato sweet and sour sabzi. Never eaten them raw in a salad. With roasted gram and green chillies this salad looks very tempting. The problem is getting green tomatoes. I also search for them in a lot of ripen tomatoes. Will try it next time I lay my hands on green tomatoes.
Welcome to the club. Even I look out for green ones.
Glad to see you at BM !
the green tomatoes were my mother-in-laws favourite, and I have not cooked anything ever since. The salad looks very refreshing and delicious. Must give it a try.
😀 Thanks, Vaishali feels good to be back. DO try you will love it.
I haven't experimented with green tomatoes before this -- so interesting!
Thanks, Lillie you can try now.
Never tried green tomato’s in salad. Loved the addition of roasted chana dal in the salad, it gives crunchiness to the salad I’m sure, would make an great healthy treat during summer time.
Thank you, Jolly.
This looks like a healthy side dish, I like that you are using green tomatoes!
Never seen green tomatoes in the market. I think even I have to get those looks of green grocer if I want to try this salad....Lol.
seriously, the salad sounds yum...something different. Will try with firm tomatoes as don't see the possibility of getting green tomatoes.
Ritu, grow your own tomatoes 😀
Soheila Hakimi says
Wow! I had no idea you could eat green tomatos, nor that tomatoes were introduced to India by the Portugese. I do love sour things so i'm going to have to see if I can find green tomatos somewhere and give this recipe a go. Does it matter what kind of tomatos or does any kind work?
Thank you for the kind words, Soheila Hakimi. You can use any kind of tomato. Please do try and share your feedback.
This idea never occurred to me. This salad is easy to make and looks delicious. I would try this when tomatoes in my backyard begins to yield.
Good to see you back Archana! I have to try this recipe with some tomatillos, I am sure it would be good!
😀 Thanks, Rajini.
Preethi Prasad says
Tomato kai kosambari is so refreshing and Delish . I have never cooked green tomatoes. I would love to try your kosambari with kai tomato . Need to source them now.
Preethi, you need not cook the green tomatoes for this recipe.
Usha Rao says
I always scratch my head to use up green tomatoes. This recipe was a savior this time. Salad was just what I was looking for and addition of putnala podi blended really well with the tomatoes.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth says
Now this is very interesting... And I agree to how some food into the recesses of memories to come back years later like a jhatka... I have never really looked for green tomatoes but since now I know how they can be used, maybe I will hunt for them...
Green tomato salad looks so refreshing and so easy to make. I need to get hold of green tomatoes to make this healthy salad now.
😀 Thanks, Narmadha.