This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
How to make Jeera Pani
Jeera Pani is the one concoction that eases an upset tummy and improves gut health too.
Boil cumin seeds till it is reduced and you have a healthy and wonderful healing home remedy recipe in your hands.
A home remedy for minor ailments and something that a grandmother will recommend. Age-old and effective remedy from your pantry shelf!
Please note that cumin water does not replace what your doctors advise. Please seek medical help and follow the advice to suit your health profile.
- Jeera Pani recipe and me
- Why use Jeera or Cumin Seeds?
- Why drink MSK Jeera Pani?
- How to make Cumin Water?
- For Your Questions
- Home Remedies we love
- Recipe Card
- Pin for later
Hello, and welcome! I am known as The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen, reinventing the foodie in you!
Tired of choosing between tasty or healthy meals? No more! Here at the Mad Scientist’s Kitchen, I experiment with flavours and cuisines that are as nutritional as they are delicious.
Join me in my lab as we cook up some treats! You can stay up-to-date with my latest culinary adventures by subscribing to my newsletter. No scam, no spam, just the clink of my pots and pans!
I will love you to follow me on:
Jeera Pani recipe and me
When it rains during Monsoon it pours. We tend to then indulge in Bhajiya and tea! Monsoon means Festivals and good food! Result Gorge! So Monsoon then means upset tummy! So I drink Jeera water regularly during the rainy season.
Why use Jeera or Cumin Seeds?
Jeera or cumin is a spice long used in Indian cuisine. The taste and the flavours it imparts to food are unmistakable.
Cumin has chemicals that stimulate the secretion of enzymes and aid digestion. Try sniffing some cumin and it will trigger salivation and improved appetite!
Some of the uses are improved digestion, improved immunity and help to detoxify your system.
I use cumin every day as in Indian cooking cumin plays a prominent role. We use it in many forms crushed, roasted or in tempering.
Cumin is one of the main ingredients for making masalas right from Mayuri's Dhana Jiru, to garam masala, sambhar masala, and rasam powders. You also use cumin to flavour lentils and rice. Then this flavourful rice Milagu Jeeraga Sadam depends on cumin and pepper for flavour.
Jeera water has my homoeopath's seal of approval as it flushes out all your system. My Sis-in-law says they drink this every night and it has worked wonders for their general health. Her skin too looks beautiful.
Why drink MSK Jeera Pani?
Make this recipe as
- Uses just 2 ingredients
- Detoxifies the system
- Improves immunity
- Improves health
How to make Cumin Water?
These are the ingredients you will need. For quantities please check the recipe card.
Method:(details and pics, stepwise desc)
- Put the two and boil till reduced to half. You can strain it or like me drink it with the grains of cumin.
- Warm tastes better but there is time I have gulped it down the room temperature.
- If you have planned it well then soak the cumin for 12 hours. Strain and drink.
- I have seen people adding
- carom seeds
- fennel seeds
I will vouch for the carom seeds, remember the gripe water we were fed as babies? Jeera and ajwain water!
You will need
How to serve:
- Strain the jeera and serve warm. You could add lemon for flavour.
How to store:
- You can make say a litre and store it in the fridge say for 4 days. But I will prefer my cumin water warm so I make it fresh.
This is an old post that I am updating with newer pictures and a write-up as a part of the group Foodies_RedoingOld Post.
For Your Questions:
- If you have the time let the cumin steep in the water. The flavours are delicious.
- You can always use powdered or crushed cumin.
Benefits of Cumin Water:
- Jeera water has antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory.
- Improves appetite, improves digestion.
- Beneficial to our body Cumin water hydrates the body.
- If you are hiccuping or belching try chewing on a few grains of cumin. It works since cumin is an anti-flatulent.
- It also eases bowel movements read as eases constipation. This improves gut health and of course, your overall health improves too.
- Now since the number of calories in jeera water is negligible you can sip some to promote weight loss.
- Cumin increases sensitivity to insulin. Hence Diabetics will benefit from jeera water. However, this does not excuse you from maintaining your diet and exercise regime.
- During my pregnancy, jeera water helped control morning sickness and reduced heartburn too.
Side effects of Cumin Water:
Too much of anything no matter how tempting and effective it is something you should avoid. This is my general rule for anything in this world. Moderation is the key to everything we do. So even cumin water needs to be taken in moderation!
Too much jeera water can result in health issues.
- You can suffer from early contractions if you are pregnant.
- Or become hypoglycemia in diabetics which is dangerous.
- Can cause bleeding and liver damage if consumed in excess.
So a cup is all that I recommend and contact your medical advisor now if you have issues.
When to visit your doctor:
Please bear in mind that I am not a medical practitioner. These remedies work for mild cases.
- Please call on your doctor if
- you go to the loo more than 4 times.
- Have a fever, weakness, and shivers.
- If there is blood in your stools.
Home Remedies we love:
Jeera Water Home Remedy for Upset Stomach
- 1 tablespoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- Boil the water and the jeera till the water reduces to 1 cup.
- Cool it and drink.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day if needed.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Thanks for posting this informative piece about the upset stomach remedy.
Varadas Kitchen says
One of the girls in my class used to bring this to school everyday instead of regular water. Nice pick.
Priya Suresh says
Wow, my kind of drink, i love this jeera water;
vaishali sabnani says
Book marked..its a very useful one.
I guess cumin in general is so good for us to include in all our dishes...very good tip..
Manjula Bharath says
jeera pani is one home remedy we do it our home every time.. perfect health remedy for indigestion..
Harini-Jaya R says
Jeera and Dhania are wonder spices in our kitchen..Totally love this!
Pavani N says
Very useful tip with ingredients right from the pantry. Thanks for sharing.
Chef Mireille says
all these remedies are so helpful and informative
Padma Rekha says
I use this tip very effective one...
Very useful pointers.
Mayuri Patel says
Interesting as I would never have thought of jeera as a remedy for upset stomach. We grew up having ajwain and hing! I know these days many Indian nutritionists are recommending that one drinks jeera pani for overall health. Will try this out.
My mother in law used to make this jeera paani. It is really a bliss for those difficult times.
Seema Sriram says
I am a living proof that a whole childhood can be lived drinking jeera water!!
I am very happy to see a whole collection of home remedy recipes that you have here on the blog
This is a life saver for both my daughter and me. Love your detailed explanation and pics!!
Poonam Bachhav says
Jeera water is an absolute remedy for all indigestion problems. Jeera water also aids inweight loss.
Jayashree T.Rao says
This is an ancient remedy for indigestion and good that you reminded me with a post of it. Like the smell of the cumin water too.
Don't let my daughter hear you saying you like it. She hates it. 😀
Jeera water seems a perfect remedy for all indigestion problems sure di. I never have this, will make and taste it 🙂
Pray you don't have indigestion. But thanks.
Jeera pani is the best for upset tummy. Have grown up drinking this mostly during monsoon. Home remedies are the best.
Chef Mireille says
So interesting to learn of the health benefits of cumin. I had no idea!
Priya vj says
A very effective nanima ka nuska for stomach issues. Have experienced the magical effect in a short span of time.
Jeera water is best for most of the problems and ease in digestion. simple but very effective recipe
Linsy Patel says
I used to have this on my mornings but now life got busy and stop it but looks like have to go back on it. its perfect
Priya Srinivasan says
Simple remedy for indigestion, we simply eat the jeera as such and drink warm water arch! Love the soaking option! will try it sometime!
Sujata Roy says
So useful post. You are right dadimaki potli is a treasure for all of us. Cumin water is most useful remedy for stomach update. Thanks for sharing.
that's a handy tip to have jeera pani at home. this is a lifesaver when we o ver indulge in rich foods outside home..
I lived on this week, Kalyani will vouch for it.