Read on and find out about the other delicious uses of sweet, tangy and sticky with umami flavoured Spicy Tomato Jam.
Gobi ke Denthal ki Sabzi is a deliciously tangy and spicy everyday vegetable made from cauliflower stalks and leaves. Best out of waste!!
Delicious dry vegetable made in mustard oil that is served at homes as part of an everyday meal in Punjab.
Everyday Indian curries and sabzi are very different from the oil-soaked gravies that you find in restaurants. Simple and wholesome food that tastes good and is healthy too.
I have always been interested in dishes made from unusual ingredients. So when world over we are talking of reducing wastage especially food waste we have this the theme today as #BestFromWaste at FoodieMondayBlogHop. Who else will suggest such a “bhannat” idea but yours truly!!!
The reason is that we buy cauliflower every week hubby loves it. The stalks I have always used to make stock for soups and gravy. Since I have read about the vegetable that my friend Ritu had posted I have been itching to make it. I requested her the recipe and she kindly shared it with me. Do try it and enjoy.
The ingredients to make Gobi ke Danthal ki Sabzi:
Stalks and leaves of Cauliflower: Normally I tell my greengrocer to cut off the stalks and leaves of cauliflower but I kept the nutrient-rich stalks of cauliflower and fibre rich stalks.
Mustard Oil: the flavours of the vegetable comes out with mustard oil. Mustard oil is an acquired taste so if you do not like it try with regular oil.
Onion and Tomato: finely chopped onions and tomatoes.
Ginger and Garlic: I used paste but you can use minced ginger and garlic.
Spices: green chillies, cumin seeds, chaat masala, garam masala, turmeric, red chilli powder.
How to make Gobi ke Danthal ki Sabzi:
Wash and chop the gobi stalks. You can make them in 2 inch long pieces but in my place, we prefer smaller pieces so I chopped it up. I discarded the tougher stalks but you can use them too.
Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
Heat the mustard oil add the cumin seeds, saute the onions and ginger and garlic.
Fry the tomatoes till mushy and the oil comes out.
Add the gobi stalks stir well. Cook till done but still crunchy.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Gobi ke Dhantal ki Sabzi
- Spoons and Ladles
- 3 cups of cauliflower stalks
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 3 green chilles
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds I did not use
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash and rinse the cauliflower stalks and leaves in water. Rub and remove any muddy residue.
- Chop the stalks and leaves the traditional way is 2-inch pieces but I chopped fine.
- If you are using mustard oil heat the oil to smoking point then reduce the heat and add cumin seeds. Add the carom seeds too if using.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Saute the onions till translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy and the oil comes out.
- Next, add the masala and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the gobi stalks and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the stalks are tender yet have a crunch to it.
- Serve garnished with coriander with roti, naan, paratha.
The variations to the cauliflower stalks usage are
But for cauliflower check some of these recipes out
- Gobi Musallam|Baked Whole Cauliflower
- Langarwali Aloo Gobhi| Potato and Cauliflower Langar Style
- Cauliflower and Peas in Cheese Sauce
- Crust-less Cauliflower and Mushroom Quiche
- Korean Cauliflower Stir Fry
- Cauliflower Cheese with Walnuts and Bread Crumbs
- Kadugu Cauliflower~Union Territory Pondicherry
- Peas Cauliflower and Paneer Pull Apart ~Knead to Bake
Your Equipment Shopping List:
Pin for Later: