Ghuguni Recipe checks all the boxes for me. It is vegan, gluten-free, protein-rich and easy to make. A simple side dish that can be served as a snack too. Try making this yum curry and you will fall in love with it!
The day before “Sankranti” is celebrated as ” Bhoji”, on that day we prepare “Sajji rotti” or bajara roti, “tumgai” or stuffed brinjal, “Hoogi ” which is “Khara Pongal” or “Khichidi” and “Good Saar”!
Of all these “Hoogi or Kahara Pongal was always my favourite, these plus papad and pickle!! Kaya Bahar Hai!
I am sending this recipe to Kurinji’s Pongal Feast Event.
To make “Khara Pongal” I used
½ cup moong daal (I used the yellow skinless one you can use the one with skin)
¾ cup basmati rice
1 tblspn homemade ghee
2 an inch long pieces of cinnamon/dalchini
Jeera/ cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic (optional)
2 cups water
1. Wash the rice and daal together and drain. Let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Grind together the garlic, tomato and coriander.
3. In a kadhai heat ghee and fry the cashew nuts and keep aside.
4. In the same ghee and add the pepper, cloves and cinnamon in quick succession. When they crackle add the mustard and jeera.
5. Add the ground tomato puree and fry till the ghee comes out.
6. Add the rice and daal mixture, turmeric and fry till the rice and daal dry out.
7. Transfer to an appropriate container for the cooker.
8. Add the water, salt and cook in the cooker for 2 whistles.
9. Remove garnish with the fried cashew nuts.
10. Serve hot with Good Saar.
To make Good Saar
Heat 1 tsp home made ghee crackle the mustard, hing/asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies. Add in tamarind, rasam powder, jaggery, water and salt. Boil the mix. The taste of the saar should be sweet and sour.
Previous Post: « Gul Poli~ Sankranti Special