Make your own indulgent Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate at home with our easy recipe. Perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings!
|Bajra ki Khichidi Aur Lassi
In Haryana food is simple especially in the rural areas.
The first meal of the day is lunch which is roti made from either bajra, wheat or gram with salt and green chillies. In the evening it’s the simple meal of khichri of bajra or rice and moong.
In urban areas, however, breakfast is a common feature again roti from bajra and bejhar (gram and barley mixture) flour was used but now wheat is more popular. Saag, a vegetable is common as is milk, curd and buttermilk. The afternoon meal is usually a simple affair yet again, but at night, the menu can be very varied with meat and vegetables sitting side by side.
The food of Haryana or Haryanvi food as it is fuss-free made with the intention that the eater must relish every part of the food.
Haryana can also be regarded as ‘the land of the rotis’ as the natives cannot resist the steaming hot and delicious rotis.
Haryana is popular for its cattle wealth and is an ideal home for Haryana cow and Murrah buffalo. There is no dearth of milk as well as milk products Haryanvi Cuisine.
Ghee and butter are prepared at home and used liberally in their regular diet.
Buttermilk and lassi and tea is a common drink and do not forget Thandai. If you want a change go in for sarbat and nimbu pani.
Fresh vegetables are eaten daily. On special occasions, you may see Pethe ki subji. The most relished dishes are Raabri and Bajre ki khichri with lassi. Teet ka achar is a pickle made of Kair tree. Some of the other dishes are in Haryanvi cuisines are Singri ki sabzi, Kachri ki Sabzi, Methi Gajar, Mixed Dal, Hara Dhania Cholia, Kadhi Pakora, Tamatar Chutney, Bathua Raita, Khichri, Mithe Chawal, Besan Masala Roti Makhan, Bhura Roti Ghee, Bajra Aloo Roti Makhan, bathua raita Churma, Kheer and Malpuas!
In spite of having all this write-up, I did not know what to make for Haryana. I mean I can see all this, these dishes and I was at a loss what to make. Maybe because I wanted to make malpuas and the fact that I will have no takers was dragging. I just could not see the other savoury dishes!
Simply Tadka immediately told me to make Bajre ki Khichidi and Lassi. I was shocked! Isn’t that Rajasthan? I mean
Tarla Dalal has it classified as Rajasthan!
Hearing me mutter my elder daughter told me,”Mamma, here on Haryana your write up says bajre ki khichidi . “ Thanks babes what I will do without you!
|Bajre ki Khichidi
Bajre ki Khichidi
Recipe Source: Turban Tadka
- 1 ½ cups bajra soaked overnight
- ½ moong dal
- 3 tblspn oil
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon haldi/turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- Heat 2 tblspn oil add the cumin seeds, green chillies and onion.
- Add the asafoetida, bajra and the moong dal, ¼ teaspoon turmeric and ¼ tsp red chilli powder, sauté.
- Add 8 cups water and the corn and pressure cook for 3-4whistles reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooker opens serve with a dollop of ghee. (Since I was on a diet I did not add the ghee).
- In another pan add the oil the carrots and the potatoes sauté for 3 minutes. Cover and cook after adding the remaining chilli powder, haldi and salt.
- Add the French beans, peas cover and cook.
- Meanwhile the cooker will open the lid and add the vegetables. Mix well.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!