A quintessentially Hyderabadi dessert called Khubani ka Meetha Recipe. The beautiful colour and flavours makes this dessert irresistible. The apt Urdu word is “Shahi”or Royal!
Easy Mocha Semifreddo Recipe
This Mocha Semifreddo Recipe cuts down the steps of making a zabaione and a meringue!
A delicious dessert that is like ice cream and needs no churning is Semifreddo.
We love coffee, given a choice, I will eat, drink and breathe coffee and chocolate with coffee is our favourite combination. So there was nothing not to like in this semifrío or an ice cream cake! Coffee, chocolate and whipped cream! Can it get any better?
I was like a kid in the candy store right now the variety is mind-boggling and I knew nothing about it!!
Thanks to Sasmita at FirstTimer Cook’s, whose amazing pictures floor you is our hostess this week. Do check her Instant Bread Vada Recipe it is delicious. Sasmita's suggested we show our #245 Love for Coffee for Foodie Monday Blog Hop.
Honestly speaking I had not heard of Semifreddo. I just happened to stumble on it. I was hunting for a coffee recipe since I have already made dalgona coffee I did not want anything similar, cake or frappe were my last options. When I saw this Mocha Semifreddo.
- Semifreddo, what is it?
- How is semifrío made?
- Why should I try this semifrío? Any benefits?
- How is this Semifreddo recipe different from the Classic one?
- How long does it take to set?
- Ingredients for Semifreddo
- Method of making Semifreddo
- Difficulty Level?
- Recipe Card
- You may also like
- Pin for Later
Semifreddo, what is it?
Wikipedia classifies this Italian dessert which means half cold as a semi-frozen dessert. The Semifreddo texture is like a frozen mousse and is served as a tart too. In Spain, the dish is called semifrío or an ice cream cake.
How is semifrío made?
In Italy, one way of making this SemiFreddo is made with gelato. Traditionally however this dessert is making a zabaione, a meringue, and whipped cream.
Cumbersome and one part fails you have to redo it. It can be quite disheartening.
Why should I try this semifrío? Any benefits?
I have already said that this process is cumbersome, tedious but if you eat eggs do try making this dessert.
- The benefit of making Semifreddo is that you do not need an ice cream maker.
- A little practice to master the technique and the right recipe like I said the varieties are, for the want of a better word, vast.
- Your whisk, pots and pans are more than enough. A true Semifreddo is served sliced.
- in this method of making Semifrio you need not make the zabaione, a meringue, and whipped cream. The first 2 steps are clubbed.
Chef John ( from whose post I have copied this recipe) in his post said that,
”The classic procedure is a little bothersome since you need to make three separate components – a zabaione, a meringue, and whipped cream – so, I decided to simply use the eggs whole, and make a 'zabaringue.' I knew I wouldn't get as much volume, but I didn't care."Chef John
How is this Semifreddo recipe different from the Classic one?
- Now, making the ‘zabaringue’ or custard with whole eggs can be tricky for you are heating the whole eggs on a flame, not a double boiler.
- I kept putting the pan off the low flame often as my arm got tired whisking. Also, I wanted to make sure I am not overcooking the eggs.
- But once I reached the ribbon stage without any problems I was thrilled! After that, it was easy to put the dessert together.
How long does it take to set?
Freezing in the freezer 8 hours is enough to set the Semifreddo.
Is it freezer friendly?
The Semifreddo can be kept stored in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
Let us check out our ingredients for Semifreddo
- Eggs: I have used the whole eggs. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any replacement for eggs,
- Sugar: use regular white sugar,
- Coffee: instant coffee that you have at home,
- Coffee Liqueur: Since I do not have liqueur I have used 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder with 2 tablespoon of water,
- Cocoa Powder: what is mocha without cocoa in it. Use unsweetened cocoa powder,
- Whipping cream: I use Tropolite Whipping Cream it does not need sugar in case you are using some other whipping cream then please check and use about a tablespoon of sugar.
Method of making Semifreddo
- Put a dry metal bowl and the dry beaters in the refrigerator with the whipping cream.
- In a metal bowl, I used my steel kadhai/wok. Add the eggs, sugar, coffee, in case you are using liqueur use that or the substitute and cocoa powder. Whisk well, the egg bolk should break and you should have a homogeneous mixture.
- Place it on low flame and keep whisking the mixture till the mixture thickens. Hold the bowl firmly and keep whisking continuously; you do not want the eggs to scramble. Get the bowl off the flame if your arm tires or you need to check on the custard.
- Once your whisk starts leaving ribbons in the custard, get it off the flame to cool completely. You can if you are in a hurry set the bowl on an ice bath.
- On another ice bath set the bowl of whipping cream add sugar if your cream is not sweetened. Beat the cream till you get stiff peaks.
- Mix the cool egg custard in the cream till combined.
- Transfer to bowls or in case you plan to use a loaf pan line it with cling film then add the combined cream and custard.
- Cover the bowls, pan with cling film and set in the freezer to firm for a minimum 8 hours. Overnight is fine too.
- To serve, drizzle a little whipped cream, sprinkle with cocoa powder.
I have to rate the difficulty level for Mocha semifreddo I will say intermediate for making the custard with whole eggs is the hurdle. After that its a breeze!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavoured liqueur see notes for substitution
- 1 ½ teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¼ cup whipping cream ice cold
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whipped cream for garnish optional
- 1 pinch unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting optional
- Dry the beaters and bowl then add the whipping cream in it, add sugar if needed.
- In a steel kadhai/wok whisk the sugar, eggs, coffee powder, cocoa powder, water.
- On low flame heat, the mixture whisking continuously till there are ribbons in the custard. Set aside to cool on an ice bath.
- Now, remove the bowl and beaters from the fridge and put on an ice bath.
- whip the cream till you get stiff peaks. About 5 minutes is more than enough.
- Mix the whipped cream in the egg mixture using a spatula till well combined.
- I have used bowls to set my Semifreddo so added it directly to the individual bowls. If you want to set it as a loaf then line the loaf pan with cling film and add all the mixture.
- Smoothen the top, cover with plastic cling and freeze till firm for about 8 hours. I froze them overnight.
- To serve garnish with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder.
- In case you do not have coffee-flavoured liqueur use 1 teaspoon of coffee and 2 tablespoon of water.
Thanks for explaining what a semifreddo is as I was like now what is this. Though cumbersome, I think it is well worth the effort. Beautiful texture.
Mayuri Patel says
While going through the instructions on how to make this delicious looking mocha Semifreddo, I just couldn't stop wanting it. I seriously had no idea that its not so difficult to make. Awesome recipe Archana and adding coffee liqueur would definitely make it an 'adult dessert.'
Yes, I need to source some to make it Adult only dessert!
The Girl Next Door says
I was reading about Semifreddo some time ago, and it did sound supremely delightful. You make the process sound so easy! Your Semifreddo looks absolutely delicious and inviting!
Sujata Roy says
Definitely it seems difficult to make but I am sure taste is just awesome. I can imagine the heavenly taste. So well explained recipe. I wish I could be your neighbor and get a chance to taste this delicious dessert.
Yes, then I could gorge on Rasgullas.
Poonam Bachhav says
The mocha semifreddo looks absolutely delightful ! Perfect dessert for the ongoi g Summers.
This dessert looks scrumptious. So beautifully explained . Easy to make and treat ourselves.
Dessert sounds so delicious with coffee flavor. summers are here and we have more reasons to try it.
Archana di this dessert looks so delicious and tempting me to try sometime 🙂
The bowl itself is looking so perfect and I wanna grab right from the screen 😉
Mocha semifreddo looks very delicious di, it's very new recipe to me. Very well explained , it's helpful to beginners like me to know more about this recipe. As we can store it for long time , we can enjoy it a lot .
Lol! In my place, it disappeared. Your kids are small you will be able to hide it.
This is new to me but with all the exciting ingredients this must be a delight and looks too tempting.
Shobha Keshwani says
Interesting name and a nice dessert. I would love to taste it
Mina Joshi says
This dessert looks luxurious and delicious. It was interesting to see how you madeit with everyday ingredients.
I just love this ice cream....its like im already having icecream right now, too too much hot here and having all this only 😉
😀 we have rains here but who says no to ice cream.