Last Updated on
Corn Upit is my memory of childhood where my mom made it as a filling but healthy snack.
As a child, I have stayed in rented places always. Pappa used to be transferred after every 3 years and we used to shift bases. I love that life too. It was new friends, new beginnings and a new house.
One such house I remember when I was small we had a lot of garden place we had marigold (my rapt students who used see the end of my stick if they did not pay attention to teacher J ) and we had corn planted, there were groundnuts too but then some creature ate them up at night. Must have been rats.
Anyway, we had had a bumper crop of corn and Amma had made Corn Upit. I do not remember how that tasted but I remember Amma and the maid sitting and grating corn.
It must have made an impression for when I choose corn as my theme one of the thoughts was Corn Upit.
To remove corn kernels from the cob check here.
The other corn dishes that may interest you are
- Savoury Corn Fitters from New Zealand
- Corn n Rice with Greens cooked North East Indian Style~Indian State Meghalaya
- Corn and Coriander Panki n Methia Keri ~Indian State Gujarat
- Sweet Corn Soup
- Steamed Corn
- Palak Paneer, Peas Palak or Corn Palak
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels
- 4 onions, chopped fine
- 5 green chillies
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 carrot chopped fine
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Hing
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- Spring onion greens to garnish
- The first step is to boil the corn. Pressure cook in the cooker with sufficient water for minimum 2-3 whistles. (In Futura approximately 4-5 minutes after you lower the flame ) allow the cooker to cool naturally.
- Next coarsely crush the grain in the mixer with 2-3 chillies. Since the curry leaves adorn the edges of the plates at home I added them in the mixer and pulsed it with the corn.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a kadhai/wok, add the mustard let it splutter, add hing, green chillies, turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Add the onion and fry till translucent.
- Next add the carrots, peas and stir fry till it changes colour add the crushed corn, salt. Stir-fry well.
- Cook covered for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the gas and let it stand covered for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon juice.
- You can add capsicum, cauliflower also as veggies.
- This can be used as a filling for cutlets too but I will spice it up a bit and add cheese to it. Droooool.
Linking this to
Hi! First time here?
Well, then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here.
If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!!