Simple Dandelion Leaves that grow in your garden come with a host of health benefits. Make a tossed salad with the Dandelion Greens. You can make it simple like the one I have made of dress it up to suit your tastes. Try it!
|Corn n Rice with Greens cooked North East Indian Style~Indian State Meghalaya|
Corn n Rice with Greens cooked North East Indian Style is the simple yet delicious meal from the state of Meghalaya in India!
The people of Meghalaya, like the other indigenous communities, have their typical cooking pattern, according to the availability of foodstuff in Meghalaya. Moreover, the Meghalaya cuisine can be divided into three distinctive styles: Garo, Khasi and Jaintia.
The people of Meghalaya have a varied diet from rice and maize, millet, tapioca, etc. Besides, the people of Meghalaya rear goats, pig, ducks, and fowls and consume their meat they also eat the meat of bison, deer, wild pigs, etc. Fish, crabs, eels, prawns, dry fishes also form a major part of the food in Meghalaya.The people of Meghalaya practice ‘jhum’ cultivation; and the yields are a part of the diet.
Don’t be surprised if you see the people of Meghalaya are chewing Betel leaf and unripe betel nut. Like in the
mainland people prefer having betel leaf, along with dried tobacco and lime.
In Meghalaya, a special kind of beer is prepared from fermented rice. The rice beer is prepared by fermenting the rice and then distilling it. The use of rice-beer is most prevalent during the various religious ceremonies.
Thus, it is evident that food is a typical to Meghalaya cuisine with its own innovations and delicacies.
My experiments with the beans ended up in the bin as Bai decided that I had forgotten the beans and they were not edible.
Since the food is mainly boiled or smoked or fermented there has to be something I can make which we will like.
kernels and boil for 15 minutes and blend it roughly and keep aside. The corn is added to the rice and cooked in water. You can have this with any vegetable of your choice. And, it does taste better than plain rice.”
Rice and Corn Meghalaya Style
- ½ cup rice
- ¼ cup corn
- Wash and soak the rice (used ½ cup water) for 10 minutes. ( I used Sona masuri).
- In the cooker, I boiled the corn with ½ cup water for 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure dropped I removed the corn (thanked my stars they cooked but needed some more cooking about ¾ done ) and blended them with the immersion mixer. Coarsely.
- Next, I added the corn ( and the water) and the rice with the soaked water. The water was approximately double the corn and rice, added salt, mixed well and cooked for 1 whistle.
- Remove when the pressure drops.
- 1 bundle methi washed and picked ( I did not cut it)
- ½ tsp paas puran(optional not in original recipe )
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a kadhai/wok.
- Add the paas puran when it splutters add the ginger garlic. Fry till you get an aroma.
- Add the onion and greens. Let the greens wilt a bit.( this gives me a better idea of the amount of salt to use).
- Cover and let it cook under the lid, say 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with the rice.
As for hmarcha rawt wait until tomorrow!!
Hi! First time here? Well, then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!