A low-fat Apple and Cashew nut Halwa Recipe that tastes amazing is deal for the coming festive season of Navratri and Diwali. Comfort food for the Fall season too! Simple, easy and healthy! You can adapt the Apple Pudding to suit a Vegans too!
Dodkyacha Bhat aka Ridge Gourd Pulao is no-onion, no-garlic recipe simple and easy pulao sans the masala associated with Bhat.
Made from the one of healthiest vegetable, Ridge Gourd this pulao is something you can give your toddler too, only do not add the chilli.
One of the most widely consumed vegetable Ridge Gourd is also known as Torai in Hindi, Heerekai in Kannada, Dodka in Marathi, Peerkangai in Tamil, and Beerakaya in Telgu.
My journey with Ridge gourd stated when I ate this vegetable that Mabel, my friend, made with the gourd and dal. It was tasty and I loved it. Needless to say, I made it but before that, I researched the health benefits.
When I found that Ridge gourds are low in cholesterol and saturated fats but high in vitamin C, dietary fibre, riboflavin, thiamin, zinc, iron, manganese and magnesium. Ridge gourd nutrition value makes it appropriate for weight loss programme I decided to include it in our diet.
The other reason I have started using the gourd is that it is grown in Goa.
Want to reduce your Carbon Footprint?
Eat locally grown vegetables… hence ghosali.
Today I am updating an old post that I had made for Blogging Marathon with new pictures. There are parts of the old post that I have retained as it is relevant.
The vegetable is also called sponge gourd or Chinese okra and is dark green and ridged fruit. The unripe fruit is used as a vegetable after the hard peel is removed, the white spongy pulp and the seeds are commonly used as a vegetable. But the peel too is stir-fried and ground to make chutney.
I am writing about my find in the book “Ruchira” yes the age-old book that is a treasure trove of traditional recipes. Join me in this delicious Dodkyhe Bhat or Ridge Gourd Rice. Trust me no one in the office came to know that my rice has another ingredient, Ridge Gourd!!
Let us check out the main ingredients for Dodkyacha Bhat or Ridge Gourd Rice
Ridge Gourd: use ridge gourd, peeled if not tender and grated.
Buttermilk: fresh buttermilk made from curds that are not sour.
Green chilli, Salt, jeera powder, coriander powder and ginger: use as per taste.
How to make Dodkyacha Bhat or Ridge Gourd Rice
- Wash, peel and grate the ridge gourd if the gourd is not tender. (Use the peels to make chutney).
- Rinse and soak the rice.
- Drain the rice and mix well the rice and grated ridge gourd, salt and chilli, jeera powder and coriander powder, ginger.
- Add of buttermilk and mix and cook covered till half cooked.
Dodkyacha Bhat aka Ridge Gourd Rice
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1/2 Ridge gourd
- 4-5 Green chilles Adjust to taste
- 1 Inch Ginger Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera powder
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander seed powder
- 1 Cup Buttermilk Approximately
- Coconut freshly Grated (optional)
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes in warm water.
- After 30 minutes drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in case the ridge gourd is tender grate them. However, in case they are not, peel the skin and discard and grate.
- In a thick bottomed vessel add the ridge gourd, the coriander powder, jeera powder, salt and the rice. Mix well.
- Add about ½ cup of buttermilk. Mix gently.
- Cook on low flame with a lid.
- There is no need to add water as the water from the ridge gourd is enough to cook the rice.
- After say about 7 minutes you will see that the rice is half cooked. Add the rest of the buttermilk.
- Cover and let it steam for another 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let it sit on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with coriander.
The Other Variations:
- Ridge Gourd Chutney
- Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney
- Ghosali chi Kappa or Ridge Gourd Slices
- Ridge Gourd and Masoor Dal Vegetable
- Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup |Lauki aur Turai Ka Soup
Pin for Later: