Last Updated on
Ridge Gourd and Masoor Dal Vegetable also Turai Aur Masoor Dal Sabji is a powerhouse of the goodness of healthy vegetable and a healthy legume. Tastes very good with chapatti or roti but will taste just as good with rice too. Steamed rice and homemade ghee, papad and pickle…. I am in heaven, Comfort food. Today we had it with jowar roti. So in this series of Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet join me in the #Cooking Carnival.
Ridge gourd or Turai in Hindi is also known as Luffa acutangula, turiya, heerakai, dodka, Sponge gourd or Chinese Okra. Masoor dal is a flat, red gram that has made from skinned and split masoor beans very high in proteins. You can check more about Turai here and masoor dal here.
My colleague and friend Mabel often bring this”sabzi” as she calls it and I loved it. It was she who suggested that I can add either moong or red lentil. I preferred it with masoor dal as it’s easy to cook and is almost invisible once cooked. The beauty of masoor dal is that you can give it any flavour you want.
Anyway, let’s get down to today’s recipe which is a healthy and tasty. Turai aur masoor dal is the best I have tasted till now.
Turai Aur Masoor Dal Sabji
For the vegetable:
- Ridge gourd 1 ½ cup, peeled and diced
- Red lentil/masoor dal ½ cup soaked in water for 10-15 minutes
- Onion 1 diced
- Tomato 1 diced
- Garlic cloves 2, chopped fine
- Green chillies 2-3, slit
- Garam masala ½ tsp (I used kanda lasun masala)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar ½ tsp (optional)
For the Tempering:
- Oil 1 tsp
- Rai/mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Jeera/cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- A few Methi/fenugreek seeds (optional)
- Haldi/turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Hing/asafoetida ¼ tsp
Dhania/ coriander leaves to garnish
- First, rinse and soak the dal in about ½ cup water.
- Peel the ridge gourd and dice them. It’s a good idea to taste the slice as there is a chance that the ridge gourd is bitter.
- Peel and dice the onion and tomato. Finely dice the garlic.
- In a thick kadhai/wok heat the oil. Splutter the rai/mustard seeds, jeera/cumin and add the methi seeds. Take care that the methi does not blacken as then the tempering will turn bitter.
- Add the hing/asafoetida and Haldi/turmeric.
- Put the garlic in the oil. And fry till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add the onion and stir fry till translucent.
- Drain the masoor dal and reserve the water. Add to the translucent onion.
- In go the ridge gourd, tomato the garam masala, green chillies and sugar.
- Stir well and cook covered till dal is done. You will know that when just the centre of the dal, when pressed, is like a paste.
- Now add the salt.
- Stand covered for about 5 minutes. Then garnish and serve with steamed rice, rice, rasam or chapatti. Today we had them with Bakari or jowar roti.
[inlinkz_linkup id=648424 mode=1]