How about some delicious Homemade Iced Teas in different flavours! Lemon and Mint, Lemongrass, Mango and Watermelon! Try them all!
This soup of Bottle Gourd, Ridge Gourd and Daal Soup.
Surprised well so am I.
I could not believe that I can get a delicious soup from these vegetables and is white in colour. The images I had seen were vibrant green.
This rainy season it was pouring and I was making soup from bottle gourd and dal and as an afterthought tossed in the small piece of ridge gourd that had missed hitting my kadhai/wok in the morning vegetable.
How I got this colour?
It is quite possible because I was merciless with the scraper or the vegetable got scared. I will like to believe the latter, they are scared of my kids. I will never be able to feed them a soup that is differently coloured. Don’t believe me the visit me tomorrow you will know.
Bottle gourd and it’s health benefits I have already mentioned in my post for Handvo and ridge gourd in my Ridge Gourd Rice recipe. Though the amount of ridge gourd I have used is negligible I was surprised the way the soup was appreciated.
My surprise must have shown as Akanksha my younger daughter asked me what was in the soup. Then said forget it I don’t want to know I know you feed me all the veggies I refuse to eat in soups. I don’t mind in fact I love it.
My dad was here when I made this soup and he accepted the fact that soups can be just as filling and healthy. He does not need his “Anna”.
I have adapted the soup from here.
Appetising Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup
An appetising and filling soup from Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup! Try it!
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 5
- 2 cups Bottle gourd, skinned and diced
- 1 cup Ridge gourd, skinned and diced
- 1 cup Masoor dal /Red lentils, rinsed
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tomato. roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 4 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Some Boiled Corn to garnish
- In the pressure cooker add all bottle gourd, Ridge gourd, potato,masoor daal,onion and tomato.
- Add about a cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Switch off the gas and let the pressure drop naturally.
- Open the cooker and use the immersion mixer and blend all the ingredients.
- Add water as needed to adjust the thickness of the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
- You can add more veggies of your choice. I have added carrot once and got a lovely orange colour, Added more potatoes and got a white colour.