Bake this easy Eggless Pumpkin Bread this fall with homemade pumpkin puree.
This soup of Bottle Gourd, Ridge Gourd and Daal Soup.
Surprised well so am I.
I could not believe that I can get a delicious soup from these vegetables and is white in colour. The images I had seen were vibrant green.
This rainy season it was pouring and I was making soup from bottle gourd and dal and as an afterthought tossed in the small piece of ridge gourd that had missed hitting my kadhai/wok in the morning vegetable.
How I got this colour?
It is quite possible because I was merciless with the scraper or the vegetable got scared. I will like to believe the latter, they are scared of my kids. I will never be able to feed them a soup that is differently coloured. Don’t believe me the visit me tomorrow you will know.
Bottle gourd and it’s health benefits I have already mentioned in my post for Handvo and ridge gourd in my Ridge Gourd Rice recipe. Though the amount of ridge gourd I have used is negligible I was surprised the way the soup was appreciated.
My surprise must have shown as Akanksha my younger daughter asked me what was in the soup. Then said forget it I don’t want to know I know you feed me all the veggies I refuse to eat in soups. I don’t mind in fact I love it.
My dad was here when I made this soup and he accepted the fact that soups can be just as filling and healthy. He does not need his “Anna”.
I have adapted the soup from here.
Appetising Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup
An appetising and filling soup from Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup! Try it!
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 5
- 2 cups Bottle gourd, skinned and diced
- 1 cup Ridge gourd, skinned and diced
- 1 cup Masoor dal /Red lentils, rinsed
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tomato. roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 4 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Some Boiled Corn to garnish
- In the pressure cooker add all bottle gourd, Ridge gourd, potato,masoor daal,onion and tomato.
- Add about a cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Switch off the gas and let the pressure drop naturally.
- Open the cooker and use the immersion mixer and blend all the ingredients.
- Add water as needed to adjust the thickness of the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
- You can add more veggies of your choice. I have added carrot once and got a lovely orange colour, Added more potatoes and got a white colour.