This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Chocolate Dessert Hummus
Smooth, delicious and chocolatey!
Guilt-free indulgence is how I will describe is this Chocolate Hummus.
I am not the only one here praising the hummus here I have the western world agreeing with me!
For FoodieMondayBlogHop this week Kalyani has set us about making #236Hummus Time. You want healthy, traditional and vegan recipes go to Kalyani who blogs at Sizzling TasteBuds. The one pod I am eyeing right now is this Podi there are many more but the current todo is this one.
So, Hummus is relatively new in my place and I use it generally like a chutney, a condiment with idlis, dosas or a spread for sandwiches. I am not sure how a variant will be accepted at home so made just a little.
Guessing from the reactions of hubby and kiddo who is preparing for her 12th board examination I can safely say this is a clean eating idea.
Before we start on the spinoff of Hummus let us check what Hummus is?
Hummus is pronounced as hu.muhs or“HOOM-uhs.
Hummus means chickpeas in Arabic, but Houmous, as it is also called, is synonyms with as a spread or dip now. Hummus originated in Egypt but is popular worldwide.
To make Hummus you need chickpeas, olive oil, sesame seeds, lemon, garlic and salt.
Since Houmous is rich in nutrients and proteins it is hence considered a health food. Serve Hummus in a party with bread, pita, crackers.
There are variations to healthy Hummus we have beetroot Hummus, Fava bean Hummus, Avocado Hummus to name a few.
Is this recipe original?
No, it is not.
I am not the first person to copy someone to make what we like.
In fact, in the food industry, I do not think anyone has copyright over any dish or process. Somewhere, someone has similar thinking after all,” great minds…”
Anyway, this Chocolate Dessert Hummus as is also called Brownie Batter Hummus and is mass-produced now. You will get different flavours now Peanut Butter Hummus is one of them.
So what are your ingredients to make Chocolate Dessert Hummus? What equipment will you need?
Like in Hummus you will need
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- if you want your dip vegan use maple syrup else honey,
- salt and
- vanilla essence.
- To make Hummus you can use your food processor or your mixer grinder.
Since I used only 1 cup of chickpeas and so I could blend all the ingredients in the chutney pot.
- If you are using the quantities in the recipe card use the food processor with a sharp S blade to process the ingredients. If you do not have a food processor no worries use the mixer with a wet grinding blade.
- So what you do is you blend soaked and cooked chickpeas with unsweetened cocoa powder, tahini, oil and honey.
- As you blend you can adjust the consistency, sweetness to suit your taste.
- Transfer it to a bowl and serve.
- How difficult can it get!
How do I serve Brownie Batter Hummus?
Okay, today I had not anticipated making this Hummus or having any appreciative audience and so I have served it with biscuits, Marie biscuits, they are like digestive biscuits. The Hummus tasted awesome when sandwiched between 2 of them and was an excellent snack with tea.
But the other serving options are
- Serve it in a bowl to eat with a spoon.
- Top your ice cream with Chocolate Dessert Hummus!
- But I will like to serve it as a healthy dessert with apples, strawberries, grapes, pears. (In fact, my daughter was telling me to mix strawberry compote with the red chilli jam and mix it in the Chocolate Dessert Hummus.)
- Make a smoothie will taste awesome with avocado too.
- So I can use it as a frosting on the next cake! (now that is an idea)!!
- Spread it on your toast, chapatti, cake, waffles and pancakes, pita bread, pretzels, vegetables, cookies in short anything you use Nutella on. Love this snacking idea!
- Serve it mixed with muesli for breakfast, overnight oats. Low Carb breakfast ready!
The sky is the limit and yes do share your serving ideas.
Tips For Delicious Dessert Hummus
- Your healthy and a dessert Hummus can be made as I said in the food processor or the Indian kitchen in the chutney pot. Only see that the pot is clean and does not smell of strong smells like garlic.
- Use dark unsweetened cocoa powder if you want dark Chocolate Dessert Hummus.
- If the Hummus is thick then use a tablespoon of oil like olive oil to thin it out. If you live in a hot place you can use coconut oil too.
- The other substitutes too thin out are almond milk, coconut milk too. Use 1 tablespoon at a time, run the mixer then add another tablespoon if needed again till you get the consistency you like.
- How sweet should you Chocolate Dessert Hummus be? Depends on you! I would have preferred a sweeter Hummus but the rest of my family liked what I made.
- Use maple syrup for a vegan dip, honey or any sweetener that you wish. Next time I want to try using jaggery.
- One word of warning choose the sweeter before you start adding your oil or milk thin out the Hummus.
When can I eat Chocolate Hummus?
Enjoy the Dessert Hummus as a dessert(of course), breakfast spread, after school snack, after a workout too. How about enjoying it with friends after lunch in your workplace! Elevenses?
So folks dip away!
Brownie Batter Hummus
- food processor
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- ¼ cup tahini
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients in a jar of your chosen blender.
- Pulse the ingredient once or twice then process until smooth.
- Add more oil or even tahini as per your choice to thin it out to your liking. (see notes).
- Serve immediately.
- I made my own tahini by just roasting the sesame seeds then blending it with oil. You can buy from the store if you have access to it and do not mind paying tooth and nail for it. (it is available in gourmet stores in India).
- To thin out the Hummus use oil, olive oil is my preferred oil. But you can use coconut oil too only if you live in hot places like mine.
- You can always use thick coconut milk too but like I said use tablespoon full at a time.
- If you are going to sweeten the Hummus with honey or maple syrup then hold back on the oil till sweet enough for your taste. Remember these are liquids. Also use 1 tablespoon at a time you can always add more to sweeten the Hummus.
- The Hummus best used in 24 hours of preparation. If you need to make ahead then pop it in the freezer in an airtight container. Thaw on the counter and use.
What’s. Cracker of a recipe , Archana !! I loved the fact that it can be vegan too .. simple , yet ultra delish ... so glad it worked for you and the family loved it .. bookmarking for the chocoholic folks back home !!
Tread softly Kalyani. Day 1 Akaknsha ate then it was upto G to finish it. I cannot eat so much protein now.
Poonam Bachhav says
Wow ! This creamy chocolaty hummus sounds utterly delicious and irresistible ! Would make a perfect surprise for my little one as a spread on toasted bread .
My not so little one enjoyed on day 1. Then it was upto pappa to finish. Mamma cannot eat so much protein now. 😀
The Girl Next Door says
Much as I love hummus, I have never tried my hands at the 'dessert' variety. Love the idea of this sweetened chocolate-flavoured hummus. It looks brilliant!
Mayuri Patel says
Archana I had decided to make chocolate hummus and had bought the chocolate and strawberries. However, hubby didn't want a sweet hummus and so went to plan B. But will try out at some point as your recipe is urging me even more to make it. I can imagine having it on its own.Though different flavored hummus grace the shelves in the western world, unique flavored hummus for us are a novelty.
I am humbled Mayuri with your comment.
Sujata Roy says
Wow what an innovative recipe. Chocolate hummus never thought about it. Looks lipsmackingly delicious. I would love to have it as a spread on Biscuit, bread or spoonful only hummus. Lovely share.
Wow!! Chocolate Hummus!! will love to try this and serve this healthy dip to my chocolate loving kids..marie biscuits are prefect choice with this..
Try with strawberries it is better!
Wow this is so so delicious and loved the idea of adding chocolate in the hummus.
Looks much yummy and will be loved by kids and even anyone surely love this hummus
Chef Mireille says
it has chocolate but I am wondering is it sweet or savory since it does not have sugar? or is it like mole with chocolate but still savory?
It is not sweet Mir a little salty and just right in my place.
We love hummus at our place, especially my husband. That's why I know this brilliant recipe for Chocolate Hummus will be an instant hit with him. I think it would taste equally amazing with both fruit wedges and biscuits. A keeper of a recipe, Archana!
Azlin Bloor says
I think this chocolate hummus is such a fantastic idea, a dessert without the guilt and with just honey as a sweetener. Definitely going on my list of things to make!
😀 thanks, Azlin!
Jayashree T.Rao says
Loved the idea of addition of chocolate to hummus. It makes a guilt-free snack to use with many edibles. Children will surely enjoy this one.
Shobha Keshwani says
This is a very interesting and uncommon hummus recipe. A treat for those who have a sweet tooth.
Sujata Roy says
I had already commented but I have to back again on this fabulous post to try this recipe and note the ingredients. Now my daughter is at home so planning to make this delicious chocolate flavored hummus for my chocolate lover girl. Thanks for the recipe.
Mina Joshi says
Wow - love the idea of making chocolate dessert hummus. This would be such a treat for everyone. I would use it for a dip with fresh strawberries. Also a great way of getting kids to eat chickpeas.