The spicy and delicious condiment that peps up mealtimes! Simple to make Gun Powder Chutney uses flax seeds as one of the ingredients. How else do I feed the reluctant family flax seeds?
Caldo, as it is also called, is a Vegan Soup is simple, delicious, hearty, filling and comforting soup to beat the cold winter.
Clado is a broth or stock and Verde is greens in Portuguese. So we are looking at a soup made with green leafy vegetables. My version is Vegan!
Caldo Verde is a popular soup made in Goan homes thanks to the heavy influence of the Portuguese who ruled Goa for 450 years. Caldo Verde is popular for parties, celebrations weddings etc. Like all soups, it is served before the main course or as a light meal.
Tomorrow, Sylvester my neighbour’s son is getting married. Cannot believe it till yesterday I knew of him as a kid today he is marrying!! There is a ceremony called “Ros” where the bride and the groom are slathered in coconut milk! Something like our “Haldi Ceremony” so before we head out to the ceremony we will have some Soup.
But the reason I m posting this soup now is that I have started blogging with the group Healthy Wealthy Cuisine. This group has some interesting and delicious dishes that tempted me to join them and try my hand at the various dishes they make. This week, the 77HWCG’s it is #SoupyWinter a theme is suggested by @Swaty Malik since winter has made its footfalls in most parts of the world we are happy to showcase some delicious soups.
Here are some made by the members of the group
- Spinach Soup by Poonam
- Mutton Soup for babies by Narmadha
- Yellow Peas Soup by Sasmita
- Vegetarian Nacho Soup by Swaty
- Tomato Soup by Ruchi
Caldo Verde, a Vegan Soup is made with the following ingredients
Potatoes: the main ingredients and thickening agent to this thick soup is the potato.
Greens: traditionally collard greens are used but you can make do with spinach or palak like me here.
Flavouring agents: onions, garlic and salt are the flavourings traditionally. Now the Goan depends on soup cubes or Maggi to flavour their soup.
There are variations we will come to them later.
Let me walk you through the process as I have no process shots of Caldo Verde, a Vegan Soup
- Stir fry the onions and garlic.
- Stir fry the potatoes, blend.
- Add your seasonings.
- Add the greens and serve immediately!
- As for the formal recipe here it is.
Caldo Verde, a Vegan Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 ml water
- Salt taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bundle palak washed and sliced fine
- In a deep pan add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the garlic and onion till the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes and stir fry till the potatoes are little soft. Add the water and let it come to a boil.
- Lower the flame and cook covered for about 30 minutes till the potatoes cook till mushy.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or use the hand mixer to make a smooth broth. You can also cool it and use the blender or for the processor. (for an easy hack see notes).
- There are people who use sausages in this soup so fry the thinly sliced sausage and add to the soup. Add salt and pepper too. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Before serving stir in the palak and bring to a boil. (I do not as we prefer our palak uncooked).
- Stir in the rest of the oil.
- Serve with bread and top it with olives if you like them.
- A simple hack to this soup I follow is that I pressure cook my potatoes and then mash them then add the water to the pan. Add about a litre of water you can always add more water if your broth is thick.
- This is a soup that is made in Portugal where meat-eating is very common. So they add meat like ham hock, sausages.
This is a soup that is made in Portugal where meat-eating is very common. So they add meat like ham hock, sausages.
Other Soups you may like are
- Tomato Soup
- Soothing Dalia Soup
- Celebrating with French Onion Soup
- Soup with Varya Che Tandul or Samo rice
- Sweet Corn Soup
The sides for your soup are
- Onion Focaccia Recipe
- Whole Wheat Focaccia with Peppers, Tomatoes, Olives and Dried Rosemary
- Homemade Soft Cheese Bread #BreadBaker
Equipment you will need:
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.in and affiliated sites. When you click and buy through this site, it helps us earn to keep this site running.
Pin for Later: