The spicy and delicious condiment that peps up mealtimes! Simple to make Gun Powder Chutney uses flax seeds as one of the ingredients. How else do I feed the reluctant family flax seeds?
These pretty Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies kept beckoning me to try making them. They are healthy and since they have oats and peanuts, they are Healthy and Protein rich too.
What are cookies?
A cookie is also called a biscuit in most countries except in the US and Canada Even in the UK a chewier biscuit is called a cookie.
A baked goodie a Cookies uses flour, sugar and some fat and any optional ingredients like raisins, oats, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
Cookies are often served with beverages such as milk, coffee or tea.
According to Wikipedia,” Cookies appear to have their origins in 7th century AD Persia, shortly after the use of sugar became relatively common in the region. They spread to Europe through the Muslim conquest of Spain. By the 14th century, they were common in all levels of society throughout Europe, from royal cuisine to street vendors.”
Cookies came to America through the Dutch in New Amsterdam in the late 1620s. The Dutch word “koekje” was Anglicized to “cookie” or cooky.”
The main ingredients in Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies are peanuts or groundnuts, oats, maida, butter, sugar and jam. I have used an egg you can substitute it with 1/4 cup curds or yoghurt.
The other cookies recipes you may be interested in
- Caramelitas Simple yet Healthy Cookies Bars,
- Easy Sugar Drop Cookies,
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies,
- Samo Rice Savoury Cookies/ Varya Tikhat Biscuit,
- Gingerbread Cookies,
- Soft Oatmeal Cookies,
- Ultimate Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies,
- Egg-less Buttery Cookies,
- Eggless Wheat Cookies,
- Eggless Cookies.
These cookies are adapted from here.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Peanuts roasted
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of your favourite jelly I used mixed fruit jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Line baking pans with parchment paper and grease lightly.
- Transfer the peanuts in the chutney bowl of the mixer and process until they are a fine meal.
- Transfer to the food processor along with oats, flour, salt, and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and process until light and fluffy in the same food processer.
- Add the egg and vanilla and continue processing until smooth.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the remaining half and pulse again until combined.
- Using two spoons drop the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Keep about 1 1/2 inches between the cookies.
- Make a thumb print in the in each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Stir in the jam 1 or 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl to loosen it up.
- Fill each thumbprint with about 1 teaspoon.