Aipi had blogged about Focaccia and where I first met Focaccia. I was drooling, no this is mild word, and can anyone suggest a much better word, for there are no words to describe the curious need that I had for this delicious bread.
Aipi always an epitome of encouragement nudged me into trying it out. And was it a success?
Barely out of the pan and it already had my kids making inroads in it. Of course they told me that that one is much prettier … but then that never deters me.
I have made modifications as I had run out of Maida and I do not have feta cheese etc.
3 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup Maida
1 ½ cup warm water
1 tblspn yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic
4 tsp Oil + oil for greasing
For the topping:
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced (I sharpened my knife just to chop these tomatoes)
¼ cup Amul Cheese
½ cup Mozzarella
½ cup olives, slices
½ capsicum sliced thin (optional)(I used it as it needed immediate attention or had to bin it)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp mixture of red chilli powder, oregano, pepper
1. In a bowl dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the yeast and mix well. Keep covered till frothy. I needed about 10 minutes.
2. Mix the 4 tspn oil to the yeast mixture. Crush the 4 garlic cloves and mix in the flours. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture.
3. Knead the dough till it forms a smooth ball. Knead with a little oil.
4. Drizzle oil in the baking pan, you need 9*13 inch pan.
5. Put the dough in the pan and press out in the pan. Including the corners. Cover with a damp towel and keep in a warm place for it to rise. I needed 2 hours to rise.
6. Pre heat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.
7. Grate the mozzarella on the surface. Arrange the tomatoes, capsicum and olives and press gently. Sprinkle salt. Add the grated Amul cheese. Drizzle the 2 tsp oil and bake till golden brown. Took me about 40 minutes.
8. Transfer to wire rack. Cool and cut into desired shapes to eat.
P.S. My elder kid loved it with a mixture of tomato sauce and mustard.
Hi! First time here?
You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!