5 October, 2017
Watli Dal|Watali Dal|Vatli Dal
Watli Dal a snack made from soaked Chana dal and made for Gudi Padwa|Ugadi|Hindu New Year!
The soaked dal is ground with green chilli before it is cooked. Watli dal tastes best warm with chilled panha.
Chana dal is used to make Ambe dal too but then Ambe dal is not cooked and uses raw mango. Here is the recipe for Ambe dal do make it when you start getting raw mangoes.
I am sharing this now as lentil salads and sides.
The other salads that I shared in the series are
This is a compilation of the different salads sent for various events, check it out here.
Watli Dal|Vatli Dal
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Rai/mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut I did not use
- Dhania/ Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak for 5 hours the chana dal in water.
- Discard the water and grind to a fine paste the chana dal with green chilli, turmeric, hing and salt.
- Heat oil in a thick kadhai/wok and add the mustard seeds once they splutter add the dal mixture and stir it well.
- Sauté the mixture stirring it at frequent intervals.
- Take care the mixture should not stick to the bottom.
- As the dal starts drying out add the coconut, if using, and sauté on medium heat.
- Your watli dal is done when the mixture dries out and each grain is separate. Like my friend said the consistency of course sand.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut. I like some lime with mine.