These days I am not blogging too much or even visiting my friends a lot.
Not because I don’t want to but because I have to go for an evening walk (Doctors orders) and by the time I come back the kids are on the net and unless there is something urgent I don’t want to chase them away.
Also since I am a “two finger typer” and I use the same to fingers for the mouse handling both home and at work the fingers have started protesting and I have been warned by our programmer that I am heading towards Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and to take care, I am scared. I take breaks and give up computers in the evening.
Coming to today’s post..
Has it happened to you that you have only 2 cups of cauliflower, 2 tomatoes and 7 small onions ½ a cup green chutney,1 capsicum and you need a vegetable dish with gravy? This is exactly what happened to me a few days ago and here is what I managed to get out of my meagre pantry.
2 cups cauliflower cut in florets
1 capsicum cut in big pieces
10-13 cashew nuts
10 cloves garlic (I know its tooo much please reduce it to suit your tastes)
2 tsp ginger
1 inch cinnamon
1 green cardamom
½ cup green chutney
1 tsp kasuri methi/fenugreek
½ tsp meat masala
3 tblspn tomato ketchup (optional)
½ cup curd
1 tblspn cream
1. Steam the washed cauliflower florets in very little water till you get the aroma of cooked cauliflower, Switch off the gas. Do not throw away the water.
2. Grind to paste the cashew nuts, onion, garlic and ginger.
3. Heat ghee in a kadhai/ wok. Add the jeera, when it splutters add the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Sauté till you get a nice aroma.
4. Add the onion paste to the kadhai and stir fry till the paste dries up a bit.
5. Meanwhile grind the tomato. Add to the kadhai the green chutney, tomato and haldi. Stir fry till this too dries up a bit.
6. Add the meat masala, tomato ketchup (if using) and the cauliflower with the water , salt. Mix well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Beat the curd and cream together. Add to the cooked vegetable add the capsicum and stir well. Let it bubble for about 2 minutes and then cover and keep off the gas.
Remember your vessel is hot and the vegetable will continue to cook.
Also since my family does not like their capsicum cooked in this kind of vegetable I mix it in the end you can mix it up earlier with the cauliflower.