The spicy and delicious condiment that peps up mealtimes! Simple to make Gun Powder Chutney uses flax seeds as one of the ingredients. How else do I feed the reluctant family flax seeds?
Drumsticks stir fry as a vegetable is what I learnt here in Goa.
It’s made on a regular basis here in Goa and since people generally prefer rice and curry or daal for their mid-day meal it pairs well with it.
Drumsticks also Moringa Oleifera is a tree native to India and is cultivated for its tender seeds and leaves.
The immature seed pods, called “drumsticks”, are commonly consumed in South Asia. They are prepared by parboiling, and cooked in a curry until soft. The seed pods/fruits, even when cooked by boiling, remain particularly high in vitamin C (which may be degraded variably by cooking) and are also a good source of dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, and manganese.
Though the leaves are more nutritious the seeds or fruits are more popular in my house. The fruits can be served just parboiled or used in sambhar. You can also make a curry again it tastes great with rice.
This Shango as it is called here is delicious do try it!
Stir Fried Drumsticks| Shango Bhaji | Everyday Vegetable
- 3 Drumsticks peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Rai/mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Jeera/cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi/turmeric powder
- pinch Methi/fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon anda lasun masala
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the drumsticks add some salt and ½ cup water.
- Boil till the drumsticks are tender. Drain and reserve the water.
- In a kadhai/wok heat oil.
- Splutter the rai/mustard, jeera/jeera/cumin. Add haldi and methi seeds.
- Add the garlic and let the raw smell go away.
- Add the onion and fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the drained drumsticks, coconut, masala, green chillies.
- Add the water if needed.
- Mix well and cook for about 5-10 minutes till tender.
- Serve with rice and daal.