Unable to set up a Hot Pot? Me too! So I made my soup in a Pan then doled it out! We loved the soup and well I am asked to repeat the recipe! Not a very easy thing in my place! Try it!
can be done in a group. Sounds like a fun-filled activity especially during the holidays. At the end of the recipe, I’ll give some suggestions for easy variations if you want to go beyond just rice. “
tough to eat I finished them all.” So the second round. Must say the rolls were extremely tasty! This is a part of the series “Around the World in 30 Days”!
Rice Holubtsi- Ukrainian Cabbage Roll Recipe
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 4 cups half cooked rice ( I used 2 flat cups or uncooked rice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tblspn butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tblspn cheese, grated
- 1 tomato soup packet + 1 ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- Remove the tough outer leaves and set them aside.
- Place the cabbage in a microwaveable container cover with a microwaveable cling film and microwave on high for in 5 minutes spurts twice. This will soften the leaves enough for making rolls without boiling the cabbage.
- Cut out the core from the cabbage and separate the whole leaves from the head set aside in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, salt and pepper and cheese.
- In a small kadhai/wok low heat, melt the 2 tblspn of butter.
- Add the onion and fry until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl of rice.
- In a same kadhai/wok medium make the tomato soup with the 1 ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining butter. This tomato sauce will be used to spread over each layer of cabbage rolls.
- Line the bottom of a pan with a couple of the reserved outer cabbage leaves so that the cabbage rolls don’t
stick to the bottom.
Now let’s start rolling:
- For that you arrange the bowl of cabbage leaves, the bowl of rice with a spoon, the tomato sauce with a ladle, the pan to arrange the rolls, a cutting board and a knife, and a dry towel to rid the cabbage of excess moisture, if necessary.
For the cabbage rolls:
- The choice is yours either cut each cabbage leaf in half lengthwise or leave it whole to make large cabbage rolls.
- However cut off any tough stem remaining on the leaf, and place a tablespoon or two of rice on the bottom of
- Roll it up while pinching in the sides if there’s a side left exposed that’s okay.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the pan so that they’re quite snug, and after you complete a layer of cabbage rolls, ladle
on some of the tomato soup mixture.
- Continue until you run out of rice and/or cabbage. Top with all of the remaining tomato soup mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for about 2 hours, or until the cabbage leaves are tender when they’re pricked with a fork.
- Serve warm!!
- Kiddo had it with some cheese spread!!!
|Rice Holubtsi- Ukrainian Cabbage Roll Recipe|
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!