A low-fat Apple and Cashew nut Halwa Recipe that tastes amazing is deal for the coming festive season of Navratri and Diwali. Comfort food for the Fall season too! Simple, easy and healthy! You can adapt the Apple Pudding to suit a Vegans too!
can be done in a group. Sounds like a fun-filled activity especially during the holidays. At the end of the recipe, I’ll give some suggestions for easy variations if you want to go beyond just rice. “
tough to eat I finished them all.” So the second round. Must say the rolls were extremely tasty! This is a part of the series “Around the World in 30 Days”!
Rice Holubtsi- Ukrainian Cabbage Roll Recipe
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 4 cups half cooked rice ( I used 2 flat cups or uncooked rice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tblspn butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tblspn cheese, grated
- 1 tomato soup packet + 1 ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- Remove the tough outer leaves and set them aside.
- Place the cabbage in a microwaveable container cover with a microwaveable cling film and microwave on high for in 5 minutes spurts twice. This will soften the leaves enough for making rolls without boiling the cabbage.
- Cut out the core from the cabbage and separate the whole leaves from the head set aside in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, salt and pepper and cheese.
- In a small kadhai/wok low heat, melt the 2 tblspn of butter.
- Add the onion and fry until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl of rice.
- In a same kadhai/wok medium make the tomato soup with the 1 ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining butter. This tomato sauce will be used to spread over each layer of cabbage rolls.
- Line the bottom of a pan with a couple of the reserved outer cabbage leaves so that the cabbage rolls don’t
stick to the bottom.
Now let’s start rolling:
- For that you arrange the bowl of cabbage leaves, the bowl of rice with a spoon, the tomato sauce with a ladle, the pan to arrange the rolls, a cutting board and a knife, and a dry towel to rid the cabbage of excess moisture, if necessary.
For the cabbage rolls:
- The choice is yours either cut each cabbage leaf in half lengthwise or leave it whole to make large cabbage rolls.
- However cut off any tough stem remaining on the leaf, and place a tablespoon or two of rice on the bottom of
- Roll it up while pinching in the sides if there’s a side left exposed that’s okay.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the pan so that they’re quite snug, and after you complete a layer of cabbage rolls, ladle
on some of the tomato soup mixture.
- Continue until you run out of rice and/or cabbage. Top with all of the remaining tomato soup mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for about 2 hours, or until the cabbage leaves are tender when they’re pricked with a fork.
- Serve warm!!
- Kiddo had it with some cheese spread!!!
|Rice Holubtsi- Ukrainian Cabbage Roll Recipe|
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!