Gajak is a brittle made traditionally with peanuts, sesame seeds and jaggery. Enjoy this chikki as you bask in the winter sun or around the Lohri bonfire.
When we did the alphabet marathon Nandini had made quark. The first time I had heard of this delicious cheese. I had to make it.
- 3 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup curd
- ¼ cup water
- Bring the milk to a boil and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile blend the curd and water to get your buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk and mix.
- Let it rest undisturbed for 24 hours in a warm corner of the kitchen
- One full day later, line a sieve with cheesecloth (or a thin kitchen towel). Place this on a bowl with at least ½-ltr capacity to collect the drained whey water
- Pour the curds into the lined sieve and secure. Pull the edges together and twist it up or secure with a rubber band
- Place the entire apparatus in the refrigerator for 24 hours
- Remove the cheese from the cheesecloth and keep refrigerated in an airtight container.