You can make this gluten-free ladoo, a round ball of melt in the mouth magic called Besan Laddu or plain Besan Unde. Simple pantry ingredients make this sweet a divine offering to the Gods! Served in a traditional meal as a sweet or as a dessert, a delicacy made with Bengal Gram flour you cannot stop eating just one!
This is a myth buster Mushroom Biryani! This delicious biryani does not use coriander. If you think that it is failing on taste then you are wrong. It’s yum, yum, yum.
no coriander in the house. I did not have any basmati rice also so I was very reluctant.
- 2 ½ cups or 500 grams rice
- 4 ½ cups water
- 3 cups mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger
- 5 medium onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon of jeera
- 2 masala cardamoms
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 5-6 peppercorn
- 2-3 strands of mace or jaipatri
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 petal of star anise or dagad phool
- 2 green chillies
- 2 red chillies
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
- Few strands of saffron
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- Wash and drain the rice. Set aside.
- Heat a steel katori/bowl switch off the gas and drop the saffron strands in it. The saffron strands will shrivel up. Let the katori cool before you crush some of the strands then add the milk. Set aside.
- Slice 2 onions lengthwise and keep them on a paper napkin. Then deep fry them in oil. Drain and set aside.
- Now fry the cashew nuts and set them aside. You can also fry raisins but since they are not appreciated at home I don’t.
Rice for the Biryani:
- To the rice add the black cardamom or masala elicihi and star anise. Add the water, salt to taste and bring to boil.
- Cook till the rice is ¾ done or till all the water evaporates.
- Let the rice cool fully before fluffing it with a fork.
Masala for the Biryani:
- Grind the rest of the onions, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, jeera, cloves, pepper, mace, green cardamom, ½ the
cinnamon, green chillies, red chillies, turmeric, red chilli powder( if using) to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Grind the tomatoes to a puree.
- In the oil that you have fried the onions and cashew nuts tip in the ground masala paste.fry till the oil oozes out.
- Add the tomato puree fry till the oil oozes out.
- Add the mushrooms mix well and cook covered till the mushrooms are done.
To assemble the Biryani:
- In the vessel that you are assembling the Biryani (generally its same vessel in which I cook the rice)
- Pour 1 tablespoon ghee into the vessel and spread half of the rice at the bottom followed by the mushroom gravy spread to rest of the rice as the top layer and drop 2 tablespoon ghee.
- Pour the saffron milk on top.
- Seal the mouth of the vessel with a tight fitting lid. Seal the lid with some dough and place the vessel on the tawa.
- Heat the whole contraption for 15-20 minutes. After which you are free to open the seal and serve delicious fragrant Biryani.
- Serve with onion raita.
Hi! First time here? Well, then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page.