Last Updated on
Lasooni dal is garlicky dal that has the predominate flavours of garlic in it. Made from a mixture of toor dal and moong dal is mildly spicy and goes well with steamed rice and roti.
This Punjabi dal is tempered with ghee, spices and of course garlic. This tasty and easy dal is a treat to the senses. This dal is more on the thicker consistency than the normal dal.
It’s something you must try. Actually, I do not like garlic so the amount I ate was minimum and yet I liked it.
The main ingredients in this garlic tadka dal are toor dal or arhar dal, moong dal and garlic.
Now let’s try out Lasooni dal that I have adapted from here.
Lasooni Dal Recipe, Garlicky Dal Recipe
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic cut into julienne
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds optional
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1 piece Dry red chili
- 3 cloves piece
- 1/2 inch piece Cinnamon
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt to Taste
- Water as needed
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Pressure cook the toor dal and the moong dal with sufficient water, chopped tomato(reserve a few to add on top) and turmeric for 2 whistles on high flame then lower the flame and cook for 1 whistle. Let the pressure fall naturally.
- Open the cooker and mash the dal with the back of the ladle. (if you do this job when the dal is hot you will not need to blend the dal with blender).
- In kadhai/wok heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and methi if using.
- Fry the garlic till the raw smell goes.
- Add the dal and the coriander seed powder.
- Add the salt and adjust the thickness of the dal.
- Let the dal cook for about 5 min.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and the chopped tomatoes.
- Serve lasooni dal hot with steamed rice or jeera rice, roti or paratha.