Make your own indulgent Almost Ferrero Rocher Chocolate at home with our easy recipe. Perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings!
Gurellu pudi is an acquired taste. At least it took me so long to acquire the taste for it!!
So what is Gurellu? Gurellu in Kannada is Niger seeds in English and Pudi is powder. So essentially this is Niger Seed powder. In Marathi this chutney is called Karla che pud.
You can check on Niger seed here.
In Northern Karnataka it’s an essential. You can eat it plain, with curds or oil. Eat it with chapatti, jowar roti or like me with idli mixed with agshi pudi!! Else use it in different recipes as your masala base. Is it not versatile?
Next time you make brinjal veggie add a little of this powder in your spice and see how delicious the veggie tastes. I know of people using it in stuffed ladyfinger too.
So let’s get down to making this Gurellu pudi. Also this powder has been made by my father’s cook. She has not used any garlic in it but she said you can add garlic in the powder.
- 1 cup Gurellu
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- Roast the Gurellu in a thick bottomed kadhai/wok on medium heat.
- Keep on stirring the seed will splutter but keep going till you get nice aroma. Please remember to stir continuously as stopping in between will leave you with burnt seeds. Once done remove from the flame and let it cool down totally.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and grind into powder and store in a jar.
- You can keep for 15 days, if stored in dry place.
It is used in brinjal, green moong, capsicum, stuffed ladyfinger recipes .Or can have it with curds and Jowar roti.
You can additionally add curry leaves and turmeric to this powder while grinding.
Many times my sis adds roasted dry coconut and garlic to this basic mixture.
This is my entry for BM# 29. Check the other BM entries here.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!