Who says you make only Gajar Halwa or Salads with Carrots? Try making this Creamy French Potage de Crécy Recipe! We loved it and was enjoyed with Focaccia.
|Egg less Creme Brulee|
Over the years I have collected many cookbooks and have used a few, very few. So my resolve was to try at least a few of the recipes that I have read about. So with Valentine down the corner I decided to make something sweet.
The moment I say I am making something sweet my family starts distracting me. The idea is to get me out of the mood and they generally succeed. This time however they did not know what I was up to so I made this easy recipe from Tarla Dalal’s “Cooking and More” that my Dad had gifted me. And they loved it.
Crème Brulee that I had read about you need to steam the custard and eggs here you need not. As I do not have ramekins I did not set them in individual. This had me serving the caramel in the form of a biscuit.
3 cups milk
1 tblspn vanilla custard powder (as I did not have custard powder I used corn flour and 1 drop of yellow food colouring)
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
5 grms agar agar cut into small pieces
¼ cup nuts (I used some almonds and cashew nuts)
½ cup sugar
1. Soak the agar agar in ¾ cup of cold water for a minimum of 5 minutes. Cook on low flame till it dissolves and keep aside.
2. Mix the corn flour with ½ cup cold milk and keep aside.
3. Heat the remaining milk on low flame with 3 tblspn sugar, when it starts boiling add the corn flour mixture and continue cooking till you get a smooth sauce.
4. Add the agar agar to the custard and boil again for 2 minutes. Strain the mixture and d cool slightly.
5. Add the nuts and mix well. You can at this stage add to individual serving bowls and refrigerate till firm. I used one bowl only to refrigerate.
6. Just before serving heat the ½ cup sugar with 1/3 cup water stir till sugar dissolves. Then let it heat on low flame till the colour of the syrup is light brown and is caramelized.
7. Pour over the set custard serve immediately.
I am sending this to http://www.brendascanadiankitchen.com/p/cookbook-sundays_01.html