Someone, I forget who recently shared a delicious bread on Facebook, something that rekindled the dormant interest in baking, the spark that was needed to restart me blogging and baking. I just cannot thank her enough!
This was the first bread I baked and ended up setting back my year of exercise for spondylolysis back to say 6 months. I am back to doing my basic exercises. Not that I regret the bread it but I can do without the pain.
Anyway join me in making this yummy bread.
The basic bread dough is same as I have used in making the Lion House rolls. This is just how to make the bread.
So here goes.
First, the bread dough is the basic dough that I make and use on a regular basis. Check it out here.
These are the steps to make the roll:
- Roll out the dough into a circle.
- Mark a line in the center of the dough and cut one side of the circle in strips till you reach the line.
- Spread the chocolate spread/Nutella on the uncut side.
- Roll up gently but firmly sealing the sides. Take care or the chocolate will ooze out.
- Now seal the cut edges carefully around the roll else they open up while baking. You can use water or egg wash.
- Curve the roll in the shape of a worm.
- Apply two laung/cloves as eyes. (push then in well as they pop out).
- Place on greased (or parchment lined) baking pans. Let rise in a warm place until the rolls are double in size (approx. 1-1 1/2 hours).
- Preheat the oven at 190 C about 15 minutes before the rolls go in the oven.
- Give the rolls an egg wash in case you want to avoid eggs use milk.
- Bake for 35 minutes approx until they are browned to your satisfaction.
- Brush with melted butter while hot.