|Vegetable Thupka ~ A DeliciousVegetarian Noodle Soup|
For the recent mega marathon, for the benefit of those who land here for the first time I have participated in 2 marathons. One is the Alphabet marathon the second was the Indian Food Odyssey where we have taken up the challenge of various Indian states and the food there. The NE states gave is a lot of problems not only there are very few documented online, but most of the dishes are non-vegetarian.
Here is what I left out coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, spinach (as I did not have any in my pantry).
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 4 medium onions chopped fine
- 6-7 cloves garlic +6 cloves
- ½ tsp chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
- A pinch turmeric
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ cup cabbage cut in juliennes strips + 4-5 leaves
- ¼ cup carrots julienned + 1 carrot
- ¼ cup peas(optional)
- 1 packet Hakka noodles (I used Ching’s)
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups water
- First make the vegetable stock (actually this resides in my freezer once it starts raining) all the leftover vegetable scrap like the cauliflower middle stalk, the cabbage leaves, carrots, 1 onion, potatoes + 6 cloves garlic, the peppercorns pressure cook with 6 cups of water in the pressure cooker. Say about 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure drop naturally mash up the vegetables then strain the liquid.
- This liquid is the stock. As I do not want to waste the goodness of the veggies I generally grind up the veggies and use it to thicken my broth. Then add water to make it a little watery, say 1 cup. (I know I need not add all the veggies but …)
- Heat butter, add ginger, onions and garlic sauté for a few minutes.
- Add a the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil.
- Add noodles. Cook till the noodles soften.
- Add some spinach (if using) and the cabbage and carrots and peas.Switch off the gas.