Last Updated on
This spicy cabbage and potatoes from Bolivia is a welcome change from the everyday cabbage vegetable made at home.
This recipe actually uses Aji chillies you can use jalapenos or in my case our regular chillies which happen to be spicy.
Made simply with cabbage, potatoes, onion tomato paste, tomatoes, yellow capsicum, chillies as the main ingredients it is a treat to see and eat.
Latin American food differs from country to country and region to region. The spices used are also different and shared spices are also used in different quantities.
Bolivian cuisine is a mixture of Spanish cuisine added to the local Aymara traditional food. For a good measure, they have adapted Argentinean, French, German, Italian and Arab cuisine to suit their tastes. The local staples are corn, potatoes, quinoa and beans. The use of rice, wheat, meat like chicken and pork is common too.
This spicy cabbage and potatoes from Bolivia is a part of Explore Latin American Cuisine and is adapted from here.
You can serve spicy cabbage and potatoes with chapatti and rice but my girls ate it like a salad plain.
- 4 cups cabbage chopped fine
- 3 Potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tbs tomato paste I used tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp tsp. sugar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cups Onion chopped
- ¾ cup yellow capsicum or bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbs Lime juice
- Coriander coarsely chopped
- In salted boiling water blanch the cabbage for 2 minutes and transfer to ice immediately. The cabbage must be tender but crisp.
- Now add the potatoes in boiling salted water and cook till tender about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Reserve ½ cup of the water add tomato paste or sauce and sugar. Stir and set aside.
- Heat oil in kadhai/wok.
- Add onion and sauté till transparent.
- Stir in tomatoes, chilli and tomato paste mixture, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cabbage and potatoes. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until cabbage and potatoes are heated through.
- Add the capsicum season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with lime juice and coriander and serve.
Hi! First time here?
You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!