On Ashadha Amavasya is also called as Deepaanvit Amavasya lamps are worshipped. This simple and delicious recipe where Whole Wheat Flour Lamps are used to worship lamps. A simple and healthy steamed recipe from Maharashtra underlines that even lamp is worshipable.
Last Updated on
Whenever we go to Pune, which is often, that evening we have chat!
The menu generally is S.P.D.P or Pani Puri or both!
Pani puri is Gol Guppe. The puris are purchased and the chutney and filling are made at home. We are 8-10 adults and 5 kids but this is a get-together we are having and you can guess it’s very very noisy.
Wondering what S.P. & S.P.D.P is? Sev Puri & Sev Puri Dahi Puri. These we generally have Sev puri dhai puri at the chatwalla place. But pani puris are made at home.
Since we purchase puris we buy Pani Puri puris, saves us the hassle of keeping flat ones separate so I have made mine in the Pani Puri puri not the flat ones. Guess we are too used to it…
The puris can be made at home; they are not difficult but time consuming.
In case you want to make them, here is the recipe. I have never made them but the source of this recipe is very trustworthy. None of the recipes have failed me yet.
Yield: 16-20 puris
Shelf life: 15-20 days if you can keep the two-legged pests away
- ¼ cup Maida or APF
- ¾ tblspn besan/Chana dal flour
- ½ tsp rice flour
- ¼ tsp ajwain
- ¼ tsp salt
- A pinch of baking powder
- Using very little water mix all the ingredients. Your dough should be firm.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a thick kadhai/wok. As the oil is heating make your puris, small bite size puris. Using a fork pierce the puris if you do not the puris to fluff up.
- Fry them on low flame on both sides till they are golden-brown.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and store in an airtight container.
Now, let us get down making our S.P.!!!!Drooooooool!!!!!
We prefer Sev Puri so here is Sev Puri that I made at home
Filling for S.P.:
Before that let me warn you what we have at the time of serving is crazy time. No matter how much I try to organise the entire proceedings we end up in a bedlam. Some complaints and grumbling … well it’s a part of family life.
- 25 Puris
- 2 boiled and mashed potato
- ½ cup boiled moong
- 1 cup boiled vegetables
- Tamarind chutney
- Green chutney
- Dates chutney
- Kala namak
- Chat masala
- Sev to garnish
- Peel and mash the potatoes add some of the green chutney not much 1-2 tsp, chat masala, kala namak just for flavour a little salt. Mix.
- Next the boiled veggies drain and keep aside.
- Crack open the puris and add some of the boiled potatoes, the kids refuse to eat the boiled veggies so they end up in out puris, boiled moong, boondi.
- Top up with chutney, sev and coriander. Sprinkle chat masal on top.
By now the the time the puris are about filled up with the fillings we have a commotion is enough to drive you crazy.
Akanksha by now has grabbed a huge dish and is piling the filled puris in them, we have the usual enquiry,” who are those for? ‘
The usual answer is me.
My warning she cannot eat as many.
I can …
Then we use the ultimate threat you fill them all pile the chutney they will go soggy and you cannot eat them.
So promptly her plate is changed to a smaller one with 5-6 puris and she is allowed to add her own concoction of chutney, sev and coriander, her favourite chat masala sprinkled and then
Peace reigns as she begins to eat….
We are now free to eat as per our wishes.
In case you want to make sev puri dhai puris top the puris with sweetened curds before you add the sev. We do not like sweet curds (You are right I am one of the few people who does not like shrikhand) so we avoid it.
This is a part of Blogging Marathon where are blogging with alphabets.
In this series of blogging with alphabets here is what I have already blogged about.
Hi! First time here?
Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here.
If you are my regular visitor then a big Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me onTwitter too!