9 September, 2015
Palak Moong DalComments : 11 Posted in : Accompaniments, Andhra Cuisine or Telegu Cusine, Bachelor Recipes, Blogging Marathon, Boiled, Daal or Lentils, For the Tiffin Box, Moong Daal-Yellow Lentils, Palak on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: Accompaniments, Blogging Marathon, Daal, Dal, moong daal, Palak
Being vegetarians our major source of proteins is dal. It’s a challenge to make something different at times. When I saw this Thotakura-Amaranth leaves dal I was keen on making this dal.
Since we do not get Amaranth leaves here I was wondering how I will make this dal. Then I saw Padma’s line you can make with palak in place of Amarnath leaves.
This nutritious green leafy dal is best of both the worlds rich in protein and iron. A healthy, delicious side dish for steamed rice or with roti. And a wonderful addition to #Buffet on the Table !
In case you get Amarnath leaves use them but like I said I used palak which needs to be chopped fine.
Paired with Pulusu it tasted great.
Palak Moong Dal
A delicious and healthy dal that takes care of our protein and fibre in one go. Team it with pulusu if you like a tangy flavour!
For the Dal:
- 2 cups palak leaves, chopped fine
- 1 cup moong dal
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 green chillies slit
For the Tadka:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon rai/mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon haldi/turmeric
- 1 teaspoon urid dal
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Wash dal add 2 cups water, chopped onion, palak leaves, green chillies, turmeric, bring to full boil and reduce the flame to low and let it cook till done.
- Remove from heat add salt and mix well with a spoon.
- Heat oil in a small pan add mustard seeds, urid dal, cumin seeds, broken dry red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a while then add this seasoning to dal and palak mixture mix well.
- Serve hot with rice and pickle, usually, any type of pulusu (tamarind gravy) is a great combination with this dal.
In case you get Amarnath leaves then try making this dal with it. I am sure it will taste better!