This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Onion Uttapam | Uttapam| Ooththappam|Uthappa Recipe
Onion Uttapam is a breakfast dish generally, generally as it makes a good snack too.
According to Wikipedia,” Uttapam is a dosa-like dish from South India made by cooking ingredients in a batter. Unlike a dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, uttapam is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter.”
Uttapam is made from dosa batter with the addition of onions, chillies and coriander leaves. Since dosa batter contains the black gram or urid dal it’s a good source of protein. The fermentation process increases the vitamin B and vitamin C content.
The dosa batter can be used to make tomato uthappam too, or a mixture of onion and tomato. Use methi leaves too in the batter. My kid until last few months loved onion Uthappam with cheese. The options are innumerable.
The main ingredients for onion uthapam are the batter of rice, urid dal and fenugreek seeds, onions, green chillies, coriander leaves.
The dosa I have tried in the past are Set Dosa, An Indian Crepe, Schezwan Noodle Dosa, Masala Dosa, Cheese Dosa, Healthy Barley Flour Uttapam.
- 3 cups Rice
- 1 cup split urid dal
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Onions chopped fine
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped fine
- ¼ cup Dhania/ Coriander Leaves chopped fine
- Oil for cooking the uttapam
- Wash and rinse the rice and dal.
- Soak rice, dal and methi in water for 8 hours.
- In the mixer, grind fine the rice and dal with minimum water.
- Mix well and let it ferment outside in a warm place for minimum 6-8 hours.
- Once the batter has fermented, mix well then add salt. The reason is the batter level will drop once you stir. Your salt will be too much if you do it first.
- I add your onion, chillies, and dhania/ coriander in the batter. Mix well.
- Brush oil on a non-stick tava/skillet and heat it.
- Pour about 1 cup of batter on the tava/skillet and spread it a little.
- Cook covered. Sprinkle a few drops of oil around the edges and over the centre. (I do this only for the first one and then in between when I feel the dosa is a bit dry and needs a bit of greasing).
- Turn it over and let it brown on the other side too.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve hot with chutney & sambhar.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80
[inlinkz_linkup id=725573 mode=1]
Sharmila-The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner r says
Onion Uthappam is a staple breakfast in our food.. Looks awesome..
Gayathri Kumar says
Onion oothappam is one of my fav oothappam varieties. I don't add the toppings in the batter. I jsut sprinkle it on the dosa so the final dosa looks a bit different. Yours looks divine..
Onion uttapam looks so yummy. I always make instant rava uttapam and never tried it with dosa batter. Have to make it soon.
From all the uttapam varieties onions ranks the highest , nice and crunchy , we all love this South Indian pancake and You have a perfect Protein Rich breakfast for us .
These Uthappams look soft and well done. So inviting. Lovely choice for protein rich dishes.
Mom makes it this way but I sprinkle it on top. This is one of our favorite breakfast dishes. Yours looks nice archana
Srividhya Gopalakrishnan says
Wow soft and spongy uttapams.Love uttapam any time. My all time favorite.
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner says
Uthappam has come out so spongy and even I make the similar way of uthappam except the green chilli.. Love it with some delicious chutney and Sambar!!
Priya Suresh says
Am ready to die for a plate of those irresistible onions uthappams, my mouth is just watering here.
Uthappam for breakfast is a treat indeed. I love the spongy texture and the slight sourness from the fermented batter.
Mayuri Patel says
As mentioned before in my post, I don't like to have heavy breakfast, but I make uttapam for dinner. Hubby and I both love them. Great share for this theme.
Srivalli Jetti says
Very nicely made Archana, even I love the onion version!
Anlet Prince - Annslittlecorner says
Love onion oothappam is a hearty breakfast options. Those caramalized onions simple give out a beautiful taste while munching along with oothappam
Onion uttpam is mine fav.. specially love the addition of rava also.. looks beautiful.
ruchi indu says
In TN, thattu kadais serve wonderful uthappams with 2-3 side dishes. Looks beautiful