Easy, creamy Eggless Custard Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe that is made in the freezer. You can also customise it too for your favourite flavours! Try it!
Onion Uttapam is a breakfast dish generally, generally as it makes a good snack too.
According to Wikipedia,” Uttapam is a dosa-like dish from South India made by cooking ingredients in a batter. Unlike a dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, uttapam is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter.”
Uttapam is made from dosa batter with the addition of onions, chillies and coriander leaves. Since dosa batter contains the black gram or urid dal it’s a good source of protein. The fermentation process increases the vitamin B and vitamin C content.
The dosa batter can be used to make tomato uthappam too, or a mixture of onion and tomato. Use methi leaves too in the batter. My kid until last few months loved onion Uthappam with cheese. The options are innumerable.
The main ingredients for onion uthapam are the batter of rice, urid dal and fenugreek seeds, onions, green chillies, coriander leaves.
- 3 cups Rice
- 1 cup split urid dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Onions chopped fine
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Dhania/ Coriander Leaves chopped fine
- Oil for cooking the uttapam
- Wash and rinse the rice and dal.
- Soak rice, dal and methi in water for 8 hours.
- In the mixer, grind fine the rice and dal with minimum water.
- Mix well and let it ferment outside in a warm place for minimum 6-8 hours.
- Once the batter has fermented, mix well then add salt. The reason is the batter level will drop once you stir. Your salt will be too much if you do it first.
- I add your onion, chillies, and dhania/ coriander in the batter. Mix well.
- Brush oil on a non-stick tava/skillet and heat it.
- Pour about 1 cup of batter on the tava/skillet and spread it a little.
- Cook covered. Sprinkle a few drops of oil around the edges and over the centre. (I do this only for the first one and then in between when I feel the dosa is a bit dry and needs a bit of greasing).
- Turn it over and let it brown on the other side too.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve hot with chutney & sambhar.
[inlinkz_linkup id=725573 mode=1]