Bake a Bajra Carrot Cake or Pearl Millet Carrot Cake for a healthier lifestyle. Try it.
Nariyali ki Barfi|Kobbari Vadi ~Diwali Special
Nariyali ki barfi, khobbari Vadi, narlya cha vadya and coconut fudge the same name for a simple sweet that I make every year for Diwali in my place.
Easy to make with ingredients in your pantry khobbari vadi was something Amma made regularly. All you need is freshly grated coconut, sugar and cream.You can add ingredients like chocolate, carrots, beetroots, boiled potato, mangoes, raisins, cashew nuts, almonds.
With the Festival of lights, Deepawali round the corner I think it is high time I share how I make this simple yet tasty barfi.
These coconut fudge are available in some form or other around the subcontinent so I would rather not peg it down as a particular state cuisine.
Generally, burfi, I am not talking about the movie here but the sweet is milk confectionery made from condensed milk also called khoya, mawa, khava. Sugar and khava are cooked until it solidifies. A barfee as it is also known is made from things as diverse as besan, kaju, pistachios. Though the most popular essence is elichi/cardamom we do use saffron, rose water and in some cases kherwa. Nuts used can be cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios.
Cut your barfee in squares, diamonds or circles.
When do you eat barfi?? There is no such thing as time eat it all year round but especially now during the holiday seasons, wedding ceremonies, and the religious festivals.
There is no such thing as time eat it all year round but especially now during the holiday seasons, wedding ceremonies, and the religious festivals.
The other Diwali dishes at my place are
- Chirotti ~Indian State Karnataka,
- Rasatle Fov or Pohe In Coconut Milk (Savoury)~ Indian State Goa,
- Ammade Che Karam a Goan Delicacy,
- C for Chana-Cho Ros Goan Style Peas Bhaji,
- Churma, a Goan Delicacy,
- Moong Daal And Black Pepper Sev,
- Milkmaid Chocolate Balls,
- Doodhi Halwa or Bottle Gourd Halwa,
- Chivda, Spicy Shankar Pali
The number of pieces you will get will depend on the thickness of your barfi and the size you cut them in. I got about 12 pieces.
Also, I keep my coconut, sugar and milk and cream mixture aside for sometime this is an optional step. I find that it reduces my cooking time.
Nariyali ki Barfi|Kobbari Vadi|Naralachi Vadi|Coconut Fudge ~Diwali Special
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- ¾ cup Sugar little less than ¾
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup Milk
- Elichi/cardamom powder
- Cashew Nuts
- Mix coconut, sugar, cream milk raisin and cashew nuts in a thick-bottomed pan and keep aside for some time. Say an hour. This is strictly not necessary but I find that it cuts down my cooking time.
- Grease a dish and the bottom of a bowl. Keep aside.
- Now put the pan with the coconut on low flame and cook stirring constantly.
- When the mixture is done the whole thing starts to form a lump in the pan, also the upper portion starts to dry up. Now add elichi powder. Add the cashew nuts. Mix well.
- Now transfer the mixture to the greased dish and with a greased bowl press the mixture to form a thin layer.
- Cool a bit then cut into cubes/diamonds.
- Store in an air-tight container.
One of our favourite sweets! Makes me nostalgic!
Lovely recipe. I really enjoy coconut laddoos,I am sure i would love this barfi as well.
How long can we store it in airtight container.
About a week maximum. Frankly, in my place, they get over in 4-5 days. I make small quantities.
Delicious looking burfi. I am sure it tastes divine????????
burfi looks great
Coconut burfi looks awesome Archana.
Veena Krishnakumar says
Arch I loved the first click!!!Drooling
Priya Suresh says
Coconut burfi is my all time favourite, just drooling here, and those cashews on the top tempts me a lot.
I have not prepared any sweet dish with using freshly grated coconut, but now I am confident after seeing yours:)
Fresh coconut barfi sounds amazing. Perfect to celebrate Diwali. Happy Diwali to you all.
I make coconut barfi but without adding the cream or cashews. The next time I make this, will follow your recipe.
Mayuri Patel says
I love coconut barfi.I like your tip of allowing the mixture to soak as it cuts down cooking time. Adding cashew nuts is a good idea.
Thanks, Mayuri I am so glad you like the idea of soaking the mixture of coconut and sugar.
Priya Vj says
Coconut barfi is also a staple sweet at my place for Diwali... we all love it at home and never say No to this one sweet atleast... I liked the option of adding cream . Will do it this time for Diwali. I normally make it with just Coconut, sugar and pinch or elaichi powder .
With cream, it becomes so soft and yum. Try adding.
my kids have been pestering me to make this nariyal barfi. your version with cream sounds interesting as we use just coconut and sugar 🙂
Jayashree T.Rao says
Nariyali barfi aka khobbari mitaye is an all time favourite sweet. Addition of cream is something new, making it tastier I guess, will add it, the next time.
😀 try it. We love it after adding creamm.