Last Updated on
Nadru Monje/ Lotus Stem Fritters~Indian State Jammu and Kashmir
Friendship is a bond that develops between like-minded individuals.
Kashmir was long to be a stronghold of Buddhism and a Buddhist seat of learning.
the next five centuries, Muslim monarchs ruled Kashmir, including the Mughals, who ruled from 1526 until 1751, and the Afghan Durrani Empire, which ruled from 1747 until 1820. That year, the Sikhs, under Ranjit Singh, annexed Kashmir. In 1846, after the Sikh defeat in the First Anglo-Sikh War, and upon the purchase of the region from the British under the Treaty of Amritsar, the Raja of Jammu, Gulab Singh, became the new ruler of Kashmir. The rule of his descendants, under the paramountcy (or tutelage) of the British Crown, lasted until 1947.
Alcohol is strictly prohibited in most places.
By the way she had brought more of these stems and out of the balance I made this Wok Fried Lotus Stem and assorted veggies In Honey Chilli SauceBut Nadru Monje is a snack from Kashmir, made from lotus stems. It is a popular street snack of Kashmir Valley.
Nadru monje/ Lotus
State: Jammu and Kashmir
- ½ kg lotus stems
- Salt or to taste
- 1 tblspn Kashmiri red chili powder
- 250g/ 2 cups rice flour
- 2 tblspn jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- Oil for frying
|Nadru Monje/ Lotus Stem Fritters Sliced|
- Peel the lotus stems.
- Wash them under running water.
- Cut the stems into three big pieces.
- With the help of a knife make slices of the stems. We made long slices.
- Place the chopped stems in a bowl.
- Add salt, red chili powder, cumin seeds rice flour. Mix well.
- Add water to the mixture little at a time. Mix well all the ingredients together, until all of the stems are coated with the rice flour batter.
- Pour oil into a kadhai/wok. Place it on a gas stove and switch it on to heat the oil.
- Immerse the battered lotus pieces in the oil to deep fry. Use tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Keep moving the pieces from one side to the other so that they do not burn.
- Take the fritters out. Once the fritters acquire the desired reddish color and have a crispy texture, remove them from
- Place the fritters on a piece of kitchen paper towel or piece of newspaper to remove the excess oil.
- Traditionally the lotus stem fritters with Kashmiri onion chutney or tomato sauce.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!