Who says you make only Gajar Halwa or Salads with Carrots? Try making this Creamy French Potage de Crécy Recipe! We loved it and was enjoyed with Focaccia.
Like I said my ideas for this edition of BM were zero. Then thankfully I rang up Vaishali this is one of her suggestions. I must say that I have made this dal for the first time and I am tasting this dal after ages..
Now I have this dal written down somewhere I know but I am in no mood to hunt for it. I am sure I will find it on some scrap of paper with no heading or source written down on it. Why I do that I do not know but then most of the times I am able to identify the recipe and I do make it. But like I said not now!!
So the best way to make a new recipe is to find a great cook and follow what he/she does. Well who better than Sanjeev Kapoor! Well this is exactly Sanjeev Kapoor for I like his recipes and I find no need to modify them they suit out tastes perfectly…
So here is Kali dal as shown by Sanjeev Kapoor on U tube here.
- 1 ½ cup whole urid
- 3 tblsp rajma
- 3 tblspn chana dal
- 1 tblsp ginger juliennes
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tblsp ghee
- 3 tblsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 red chillies
- 1 tblsp garlic paste
- 1 tblsp ginger paste
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tblsp garam masala
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- coriander leaves
- Mix the urid, rajma and chana dal soak minimum for 6-8 hours. Mine stayed soaked overnight.
- In the morning add ginger a tsp of red chilli powder and the ginger juliennes. Cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles then lower the flame and keep cooking for minimum 15 minutes. Switch off the gas and let the pressure drop naturally.
- Heat ghee and butter add jeera and let the jeera crackle and become brown.
- Add the chopped onion and fry on low flame till the onions are brown.
- Add the red chillies, ginger garlic paste and tomato puree, garam masala. Fry till it cooks well and you get a lovely aroma.
- Meanwhile your cooker will now open. Mash the dal and rajma with the back of your ladle.
- Mix the fried puree in the cooker with the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add fresh cream; check the seasoning and pressure cook for one whistle.
- Let the pressure drop naturally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and onion rings (I forgot the onion rings) with masala tandoori roti & egg chat.
This is my entry for BM# 29. Check the other BM entries here.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!