An easy and multipurpose Coffee Rub Mix that makes great a starter, side or a filling for a wrap! Your Vegan friend will also relish great food at your Holiday Table too. Try it!
|Vegetable Dum Biryani ~Andhra Pradesh|
Vegetable Dum Biryani! The flavours to die for!Just the aroma when you break the seal of the dum!I can go on and on.
married! I visited the places around but could not move around much as it was the time when the Babri masjid was broken and there were riots. Hubby, I and my sister were unaware about the riots, we were visiting Golconda Fort! Wow! it was an adventure when we finally managed to reach home!
It is also the cuisine of the Telugu speaking population of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, but with slight variations due to
local influences. Generally known for its tangy, hot and spicy taste, the cooking is very diverse due to the vast spread of the people and varied topological regions.
Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani
Indian State: Andhra Pradesh
Recipe Source: Spicing Your Life
Cooking time: 30 mins
Makes 5 – 6 servings
For the Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
For the Gravy:
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 ½ cups Onions, sliced
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1-inch piece Ginger
- 3 chillies Green chillies
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder(adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- ½ tsp shah jeera/ caraway seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 2-inch long Dalchini/cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Bay leaf
- 3 kali Mirchi/ pepper corns
- 1 masala elicihi/ badi elichi/cardamom/ black cardamom
- 1 Carrots
- 5 big mushrooms
- 1 Potatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 4 florets of cauliflower
- ½ cup Yogurt/curds (thick curds)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Coriander leaves
- Saffron Strands
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tblspn Ghee +3 tblspn
- 1 tblspn oil (if needed)
- 1 cup fried
- Almond( I did not use)
- Raisins ( I did not use this time)
- Coriander leaves
- 2 tsp Biryani Masala Powder
- Heat a steel bowl for about 4-5 minutes. Drop the saffron strands. They will scald. Now add the milk and set aside covered.
Make the Rice:
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes.
- In the cooker add the water, salt, ghee. Cook in cooker with the weight/whistle on. Do switch off the gas once the cooker makes a shh sound. I know it sounds complicated but really it’s simple. It’s fast and saves gas. Keep it aside.
- Once the cooker cools naturally open it and fluff the rice with a fork. Spread on a plate set aside. (Do not wash
the cooker you can use the same cooker to assemble your Biryani).
Get the garnish ready first:
- In a kadhai/wok heat the 2 tblspn ghee, fry the nuts and raisin drain and set aside.
- Fry the sliced onions till brown, remove and keep it aside.
- Apply salt to the vegetables and ½ cup of onions and curds, 1 tsp of Biryani masala and set aside.
- Grind the remaining 1 cup of onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, shah jeera/cumin, cloves, dalchini, cardamom, kali miri/ pepper corns and coriander leaves to a fine paste.
- In the same kadhai in the remaining ghee, drop in the bay leaf and the badi elichi. Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Add the ground onion paste and sauté well. Add the oil in case you need it, that is in case the paste sticks to the
bottom immediately. (I needed to add oil). Sauté till the oil comes out.
- Now add the vegetables and sauté for a few minutes. I did this till the water that had come from the salt vegetables
and the curd thickened. Mix well and cover and set aside.
For assembling the Biryani:
- Take the vessel in which you are going to assemble the Biryani. It should be thick bottomed I generally use the
same cooker but this time I used an earthen pot I had picked up. Grease the bottom with at least 2 tblspn of
ghee spread well.
- Over it, add the cooked rice. Now next layer it with enough gravy, fried onions, roasted cashews, and a pinch of
the Biryani masala.
- Now cover it with rice.
- Repeat with gravy layer along with onions, nuts. Finally cover it completely with rice.
- Next finish the remaining ghee over the rice and the soaked saffron along with the milk.
- Cover the top with a lid. Since I used the earthen pot I used a plate and the maida dough but in case you are using the
cooker do not put the whistle.
- Place on low flame and heat for 10 minutes. In case you are using the cooker heat till you see a small stream of
steam coming out of the vent. (About 5-7 minutes).
- Your Dum Biryani is now ready. Peel / crack open the dough and in case you have used the cooker open the lid and serve with raita.
- My family loves theirs to be garnished with fried onion.
- In biryanis, raisins are added I did not as you know my family does not like them. But they taste amazing when fried. I had them once when we had cooked for our office potluck.
- Before serving you can fluff the rice for the masala to be mixed up with rice. But that cools down the rice difficult to serve up at my place. So I go straight down with a narrow spoon ( actually I will prefer to serve with a tablespoon but the noise levels when I am doing that are so much that I do not ).
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!