Easy to make Coconut Coriander Chutney Recipe using everyday pantry ingredients with substitutions and variations, Also called nariyal ki chutney you can enjoy chutney with idli, dosa, upma, Pongal or just plain chapati.
Make this Super Delicious Popcorn at home and enjoy your movie night.
Simple, Crunchy and Easily made with the ingredients in your pantry.
This batch of Spicy Salted Caramel Kettle Corn is made without corn syrup, it is not part of my Indian pantry and I had not stocked up. Also, it was not too buttery, sticky or hard. Just the right amount of crunch, sweetness and pungency with the chilli powder I used.
The girls kept hovering around me and they made inroads in it almost as soon as it was out of the oven. At this point, I have to mention that Srivalli had couriered these packets of corn meant for Popcorn to me some time back. This is last of those packets!
Today for FoodieMondayBlogHope our hostess Renu is on a lookout for snacks that can keep for 15 days. I know for certain that in this #244Snackmania we will have plenty of snacks but them staying in the cupboard for 15 days!!! I doubt. Renu blog has some awesome food and the recent one I have come across and want to make first is Doodhi Fitters, then there is Sprouted Wheat Flour No-Knead Bread.
- Ingredients to make Caramel Corn
- How to make the Pungent Caramel Corn
- Tips for making Spicy Salted Caramel Popcorn easily
- When and where to serve Spicy Salted Caramel Corn?
- Your Recipe Card
- Pin Later
- Unpopped corn kernels: You can use popped corn too but generally we get them flavoured so I prefer to use the unpoped corn.
- Oil: I have used Sunflower Oil. You can use any unflavoured vegetable oil too.
- Salted Caramel: I have used this tested recipe of mine.
- Chilli Powder: This is an optional ingredient and we enjoyed it with it.
- Set-up your baking trays, grease them line them with a Silpat or use parchment papers.
- To make popcorn on the stovetop I use my trusted pressure cooker with the whistle removed.
- If you have the popcorn maker you can use it or make it in the microwave.
- My tip to make popcorn with minimum wastage is, add little corn kernels say about a tablespoon with a 2 tsp of oil to the cooker and let the corn pop.
- Once the popping stops say after 1minute it is safe to remove the popped corn in a bowl. For the next batch, you may reduce the oil bit to say about 1 tsp.
- Once all the popcorn is done set aside.
- Make your caramel sauce melt the sugar. Add the butter and then the cream. Keep stirring. Finally, add salt and stir well. Add all the extra ingredients and mix well. We added chilli powder (adjust to your taste).
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the popcorn.
- It is better if you get help here, my kids did it between them one drizzled the other mixed. Coat the popcorn with caramel.
- Transfer to the baking trays smoothen as far as possible if the popcorn clumps it is okay. You can work on its as you stir.
- Bake at 120C for 30 to 60 minutes depending on how chewy/crisp you want your popcorn. However, keep stirring every 10-15 minutes so that the popcorn is evenly coated and bakes evenly.
- Cool completely before storing in air-tight containers. lasts for 2-3 weeks in case you forget it is around. (Which is impossible)!!
- When making the popcorn in the pressure cooker shake the cooker occasionally. this helps the corn to pop. don’t ask me why it does.
- Once your corn is popped get rid of the unpopped corn.
- If you have a large non-stick pan use it to make your caramel. Cleaning is easy.
- However, if you do not have a non-stick pan soak the pan for 30 minutes and then wash off the leftover caramel.
- If you have a silicone spatula use it. It is easy to clean as well as heat resistant.
- The baking time will depend on your preference, if you want it crisp bake longer else remove earlier.
- After you remove the popcorn from the oven stir it and break any clumps.
- Now, the shelf life (if you or anyone in the family forgets about caramel popcorn) is 2-3 weeks in an air-tight container or reusable zip lock bags.
- Since a lot of people are on diet politely refuse dessert serve this Caramel Popcorn as gourmet desserts.
- You can also use the popcorn as a gifting option, especially during the Holiday Season. Especially since popcorn is a healthy whole grain, gluten-free. For Vegans choose Chocolate Flavoured Popcorn.
- Since the quantity you can make in a short time is huge it is great for big parties. Serve as Appetizers and Starters along with cocktails or mocktails.
Spicy Salted Caramel Corn
- Pressure cooker
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- 2 baking trays
- Parchment paper or Silpats
- 1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels 10-12 cups popped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup of caramel sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli powder optional
- Keep all your equipment ready. Once the caramel is ready you need to work fast.
- Grease and line your baking tray if using parchment.
- Preheat the oven for 120C/250F.
- In the pressure cooker remove the gasket and the whistle. Heat it on the gas on high flame.
- Add a tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of corn. Cover the and reduce the flame to low. Once the corn starts popping cover and shake the cooker.
- Once the popping stops transfer the popcorn to a bowl.
- Repeat with the rest of the corn, you will need a little lesser oil.
- Remove the up-popped corn now and discard it.
- Make the caramel sauce by melting the sugar.
- Add the butter and then the cream. Keep stirring.
- Finally, add salt and stir well. Add all the extra ingredients and mix well. In my case it was the chilli powder.
- Now comes the real job mix the caramel and popcorn. Pour the caramel over the popcorn, mix well till all the popped corn is covered with caramel.
- Divide the popcorn between the trays and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray stir well and put back in the oven. Do this 4 times in short bake for an hour.
- After you get the tray out of the oven let the popcorn cool completely.
- Once cools you can transfer to an air-tight container.
I have used chilli powder and salted caramel to coat my popcorn you can try flavours like
- Cheese and Garlic Popcorn, sprinkle cheese and garlic powder,
- add some Garam Masala and make Garam Masala Popcorn or Curry Powder make Curry Powder Popcorn,
- Tomato Powder and Salt to make Tomato Flavoured Popcorn,
- Salt and Vinegar to make Salt and Vinegar Popcorn,
- Ranch Seasoning and butter to make your Ranch Melt Popcorn,
- Chaat Masala to make Chaat Masala Popcorn,
- Smoked Paprika Popcorn is another flavour,
- Coat with melted chocolate too for Chocolate Flavoured Popcorn.