Summer is the time to enjoy Mangoes! Here are some of our favourite mango recipes.
Egg-less Chocolate Sticky Date and Cashew Nut Cake
This Chocolate Sticky Date Cashew Nut Cakes was just what it promises to be Chocolaty, sticky with dates and cashew nuts. The only complaint from hubby was why no walnuts. Point taken…
This BM we had ingredient share and I want to show off as my partner, Amara has praised my baking. What she sent me was dates, cashew nuts and sugar. This was the first bake I did. I loved the sticky texture and the yummy chocolaty taste.
I almost gave up baking this cake as I had already baked using dates like Egg-less Date and Walnut Cake, Komaj, but then like I said my ego would not allow me. Though this one is similar to the one from Aai’s recipe that was my first bake with dates I will prefer this method as there is no pre-planning. I copied it from the Woman’s Weekly Baking. Actually, there is a chocolate icing that goes over it but I did not do it.
Come back tomorrow to see my final bake.
Chocolate Sticky Date Cashew Nut Cakes
- 1 ¾ cups Dates deseeded, 250g
- 1 ⅓ cup Boiling water 330ml
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 125 grams Butter softened
- ¾ cups Brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 cups Self-rising flour
- ½ cup Chocolate bits
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease 16 cupcake moulds or like me 8*8 mould
- Add the dates and water in a pan boil.
- Once it boils remove from heat. Add and stir the baking powder set aside for 10 minutes.
- Blend until almost smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Sift the cocoa (if using), self-rising flour.
- Beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add the curds and beat well.
- Stir in the sifted flour, the dates mixture and the chocolate and the cashew nuts. reserve a few of the chocolate and cashew nuts for the top.
- Transfer to a batter to the mould. Tap sharply on the platform to get rid of any air bubbles. Add the chocolate and cashew nuts on top.
- Bake in the oven 25 minutes or till done. The best test, I feel, is when the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the mould on the rack. Let it stand for 10 minutes then remove the cakes from the mould
- Make your own self-rising flour: 1 Cup Maida or all-purpose flour + 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder + ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add 3 eggs if you want to make it with eggs.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#73
Hi! First time here?
You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!
Gayathri Kumar says
The cake looks beautiful Archana. The texture of the cake is perfect..
I love a cake with dates and yes the combo is walnuts ! But this one looks really good , wish could grab a slice.
Priya Suresh says
Omg, this cake looks absolutely gorgeous and i mind grabbing a slice anytime.
dates and nuts is one awesome combo. Very nice.
This sounds delish!
What a moist and delicious looking chocolate cake. Love the addition of dates in here. Bookmarked to try some time.
Delicious and moist looking cake.
Srivalli Jetti says
The baked one looks so nice and inviting Archana..must bake myself sometime..
Priya Srinivasan says
looks pretty arch, i love bakes with dates, must try this one!!
Nice Recipe. I want to try with palm sugar or jaggary. But i find no measurement of cocoa powder. Is it compulsory to add? Because i have tried without cocoa powder and chocolate chips already. It came out well exactly like chocolate cake. Please clarify.
The cocoa powder was my addition as my girls like a chocolate cake. It is totally optional. Thanks for bringing it to my notice that I had not updated the ingredients list. As for palm sugar or jaggery, I like the idea but since I am not sure about the sweetness of the ingredients will like you to please update me when you try. Thanks once again.
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried it today with jaggary. I took the same measurement as mentioned in the recipe. There is no difference in the taste. As you said the cocoa powder is optional i left it.
Cake tastes good. But it didn't raise like normal cakes do. My people said it is a bit dense and tastes like halwa. But everyone enjoyed it.
Thanks Chitra for the update will try is sometime soon. Thanks once again for trying the recipe.
Mayuri Patel says
Love cakes with dates, not only does it impart a sweet and earthy taste, but the cakes are soft. Like how you've added chocolate bits in the cake.Eggless chocolate sticky date and cashew nut cake is a treat I'd love to bake for Valentine's Day.
This eggless chocolate sticky date and cashew nut cake looks marvelous. Awesome combination and the cake looks soft too. I mostly use eggs but will try this eggless version. Nice post!
😀 Thanks, Neha.
Seema Sriram says
Wow, what a lovely cake. I am giving this a go for the weekend when my cousin is coming. I will give the chocolate-free version a try.
:d please do try, Seema.
Priya Vj says
Aaaaaaaha ! What a delicious cake to have during tea time. I would love to have this slightly warm . The texture of the cake is making me crave right away
Mina Joshi says
This cake looks amazing. I like that its an egg less cake recipe so I am saving the recipe to try soon. Plus I have a big supply of fresh dates to use up. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Rinku Bhattacharya says
I love this kind of a cake, your texture looks really good! I also like the fact that it eggless.