Lentil – Dal Curry Recipe, Sri Lankan Way is a delicious daal an example of Sri Lankan cuisine.
Ages ago I had eaten crackling spinach. The wonder that the spinach can remain so crisp was at the back of my mind. But I never did think of making it. I just do not know why?
Now that I was racking my brains for new recipes, scouring old memories (read papers, pictures) for the Blogging Marathon my mind went back to the time when I had eaten and enjoyed this delicacy.
The spinach needs to be fresh and you need to have patience in chopping the spinach, both these are on a short supply here so I started making just a little of Crackling Spinach. But my daughters loved it and hence I had to make a bigger batch. This is a great party appetizer if your group is small say 5-6 members. Else you will be frying and not enjoying your party.
So here is Crackling Spinach exactly as it is in Sanjeev Kapoor’s Cookbook Green Planet.
This is my Blogging Marathon entry for the month long Marathon under the theme” Occasions”!
- 2 medium bundles of spinach/palak
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds/til (toasted)
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Pick the spinach leaves, wash and dry them. Cut them in thin strips and use an absorbent towel to dry them totally.
- Stack the leaves say 7-10 leaves and using a sharp knife cut them in long strips.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadhai/wok, transfer a small quantity of the spinach/palak leaves in a soup strainer and dip in the hot oil. Remove the leaves as soon as they wilt a bit.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Transfer to a bowl toss well all the ingredients. Serve immediately.
- The original recipe recommended the use of 2 tblspn of sesame oil to toss the chilli flakes and the spinach/palak before adding the rest of the ingredients. Since the spinach/palak was oily enough I did not. You may try it.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!