An easy and multipurpose Coffee Rub Mix that makes great a starter, side or a filling for a wrap! Your Vegan friend will also relish great food at your Holiday Table too. Try it!
|Chirotti ~Indian State Karnataka|
by supplying tea, water etc)regularly made with my mother. It was a tradition for Diwali.
was Amma and Chetana’s, my sister’s job, mine only frying and sprinkling sugar on them.
- 1 cup rawa (fine)
- 3 cups maida
- 1 tblspn oil
- 1 tblspn ghee
- Water as needed to make stiff dough
- Ghee to fry (I prefer oil)
For the Satta:
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ¼ cup ghee
- Salt to taste
- Mix the maida and rawa with oil, salt and stir well. Best done in a food processer in case you do not have one do with a whisk. (Check the notes for my latest brainwave).
- Add cold water sparingly and mix till the mixture comes together into dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp kitchen napkin and set aside. I did this mixing in the morning then kept the dough in the fridge when I left for work. Being a Saturday in the afternoon I kept it out and rolled the dough out when my maid came at about 5.30 pm. So the dough sat out about 5 hours.
- Now get the satta ready. To make the satta you need a lot of muscle power. Just mix all the ingredients and whisk, whisk and whisk. Whisk like your life depends on it. Actually it has to be creamy. 😉
- Once the dough is well rested, divide the dough into small balls, using a rolling pin roll out each part like a roti only thinner. Roll out the thinnest possible. You can use rice flour, if you need to roll out the rotis, use little, as when you fry the flour will leave a residue in the oil. Roll out alteast 3 rotis like this.
- Smear the Satta over the roti lay the other roti over it. Smear a layer of satta liberally. You can add another roti like this.
- Now gently roll the stack of rotis tightly, but gently. Apply satta as you roll. Stick the edges.
- Now cut in one inch thickness with a sharp knife.
- Roll each of the piece of dough on floured surface and roll it into 4-5″ discs. But wait before you roll out keep the cut side up. Gently.
- Deep fry these discs in hot oil till they fluff up and the colour changes slightly.
- Flip them once. Cook till the colour changes and remove.
- Drain these on several layers of paper towels.
- When still warm sprinkle the powdered sugar over them.
- Serve them straight away or when they cool down store in an airtight box.
- Brainwave for next trial: run the flour mixture in the mixer with the wet blade attachment.
- You can use rava in place of maida fully. Remember to use fine rava. In Dharwad we get Chirotti rava.
- Next time I am going to sprinkle a mix of powdered sugar and a dash of red chilli powder.
What say taste me twist?
is next Diwali till then this will have to wait.
start InLinkz script –>
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!