If you do not want to spend ages in the kitchen to make dessert? Need a simple but elegant dessert for dinner party?Try Poached pears with ice cream, whipped cream or even with a cake.
|Berry Short Cakes|
Berry shortcakes was a Baking partners
challenge. The July month challenge (I know I am late) was suggested by
Reeni of Cinnamon
nice and everything nice. This eggless recipe is a simple one and you
can use any berries of your choice.
showcase them then with fresh whipped cream and classic shortcakes. These
shortcakes are like biscuits only instead of butter they use heavy cream.
My family love them a lot. In fact by the time I came back from a bloggers meet they were all gone.
Thanks Reeni and Swati!
Berry Short Cakes
- 5 cups berries (I used frozen cranberries)
- 4 tsps + 2 tblspn sugar, divided
- 1 + 3/4 cups maida or APF
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tblspn baking powder
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups heavy cream( I used Amul Cream)
- 1 to 2 tblspn melted butter
- Coarse sugar, (optional for decorating the tops)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- In a large bowl toss the berries with 2 tblspn of sugar to let some of
the juices come out.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C or 425 degrees F.
- Fit a large baking sheet with a
silpat mat or parchment paper. As I do not have a silpat that fits in my oven I
greased the lightly the back of my moulds and used that as my baking tray.
- Into a medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking powder,
and 2 tsps sugar.
- Stir in enough heavy cream to moisten the dough thoroughly. When
you squeeze the dough it should stay together without any dry pieces falling
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and very gently
pat it or roll it into an 8″ circle about 3/4″ thick.
- Use a sharp biscuit cutter (2 – 2 + 1/3-inch) to cut into rounds.
Combine the scraps and roll out again until you get 10 rounds.
- Dip the rounds into melted butter, and place them on the prepared baking
sheet. Sprinkle them generously with coarse sugar.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 to 18 minutes until they’re golden brown and
- Meanwhile make the whipped cream. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a
large mixing bowl beat the whipping cream with 2 tsps sugar on medium-high
speed until thick and stiff. When you lift the beater the cream should stick to
it without falling off.
- Split the shortcakes in half, top
with whipped cream, a few spoons of the berries and the juice, more cream, the
top biscuit, more whip cream and a few more berries.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!