17 November, 2017
Eggless Tomato Omelette |Vegetarian Omelette |Besan ka Cheela
I rarely make tomato omelette I do not know why actually tomato omelettes are vegetarian, easy and cook fast and are healthy too. Yes, it is Protein-rich too.
Tomato omelette is also known as Besan ka Cheela in North India. This pancake is not restricted to any particular region in India and is available in most places especially Udupi Hotels prominently.
Generally, when my mom made tomato omelettes she served with homemade tomato sauce.
Tomatoes are rich in umami components lend a delicious flavour to this gram flour pancake. The batter is spiced up with typical Indian herbs and spices.
The main ingredients of Vegetarian Tomato omelette are tomatoes, onions, besan/chickpea flour, rava/sooji. I prefer to use rava/sooji to rice flour you may use rice flour instead.
The other tomato recipes up on the blog are
- Tomato Soup,
- Tomato Saar,
- Cauliflower in Tomato Gravy,
- Deviled Tomatoes,
- Whole Wheat Tomato Basil, Loaf,
- Tomato Sauce, T
- ameta Methi Muthia nu Shaak,
- Pakke Pakke Tamatar/ Ripe Stuffed Cherry Tomato.
The besan recipes on the blog that may interest you
- Besan Ladoo/Besan Unde/ बेसन के लड्डू,
- Protein Rich Sprouts Dhokla,
- Taaze Methi ke Muthia/ Fresh Fenugreek Dumplings,
- Bajiyos /Djiboutian Fried Vegetables/ Aloo Pakora,
- Punjabi Kadhi Pakora with Jeera Rice~Indian State Punjab,
- Kadhi Goole Indian State: Maharashtra.
The other instant dosas that you can try are
- Healthy Barley Flour Uttapam,
- Healthy Pesaraattu Upma with Quinoa,
- Healthy Savoury Dosa~Bloghop Wednesday.
I clicked my pictures on my mobile and lost them when my mobile just stopped working. I am posting pictures I am not at all happy with. Will update them soon.
Eggless Tomato Omelette|VegetarianOmelette|Besan ka Cheela
- Serves: 9 medium sized
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp dhania/ coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rava/sooji, roasted and cooled
- 1 cup besan
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Oil to fry as needed
- In a bowl, mix well all the ingredients except water and oil.
- Add water as needed and make a loose batter. Your batter should be between dosa batter and neer dosa batter, not too loose and not too thick.
- Grease and heat a non-stick pan.
- When it is well heated, add the batter in a circular motion. You cannot spread the batter much.
- Or add the batter in the centre then tilt the pan.
- Add a few drops of oil on the sides of the dosa. Cover and cook.
- You can flip the dosa only when it is well cooked else your dosa will break.
- Once you flip it, cook on the other side.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or chutney of your choice.
Hi! First time here? You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!